TechSpot

win2k server / win98se

By Knatchwa
Oct 13, 2004
  1. I installed win 2k server and saved the directory that related to the previous O/s win98 se. What I wanted to know is how I would re install win98se and setup a dual boot between win98 and win2k how would I do that?

I was told it may be possible to re install win98 and it would ask for old or new windows this true?

Thanks

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Welcome to TechSpot

The only way to get them to work as you want, is to uninstall W2K Server, then reinstall W98 in partition C, nowhere else.
    W2K can be installed later, but it must have its own partition, e.g. D.
    Upon installation, W2K will automatically create the boot-menu from which you can choose your OS at startup

Installation sequence is: W95/W98/(NT)/W2K/ME/XP were W95 or W98 MUST be in partition C.

3. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,348   +50

Use multi-boot software

Thats simplest, but there are many other ways to achieve the same end - using Partition Magic with Boot Magic is also really easy.

4. RealBlackStuff

The W98 must still be in partition C, regardless of which method you use.

5. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

Yes, Win9x operating systems must be installed in the active marked primary partition, which is basically gonna be C:, yeah.

It is also correct that you should have a seperate partition for each OS.

AND, its ALSO correct that you should install Windows 98 first. Install the operating systems in the order they were released, i.e.:

Windows 98
    Windows 2000
    Windows XP
    Windows 2003 Server

You get the picture.

6. Knatchwa

Knatchwa TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the info

I appreciate the insight from each ofyou thank.s

Hello and Greetings to each of you.

There was another thing I was trying to understand, in regard to old Network Cards and why the drivers still remain. For example why can I not revert back to the original instead of the #2 or #3 of the NICs. Is there a way to get rid of old drivers.

Knatchwa

7. RealBlackStuff

In W2K, under Add/Remove new Hardware is a switch (box to "tick" really) to show hidden devices. That's where you find the multiple instances of old and/or obsolete hardware. Delete what you don't need. Best is to delete ALL you old NIC-stuff, incl. the working one, then reinstall one NIC.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.