Win32.Virut.ce removal? Real headache

By daylight
Apr 8, 2009
  1. Win32.Virut.ce removal? Please help...

OK, I've tried some guide to remove Win32.Virut. After removal it seemed to be fine, but other trojans have been left not treated. It was mainly BN8.tmp sitting in memory and c:\windows\temp and some strange files in C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp, like these:

and so on with other language names...

Now Win32.Virut at first seemed to be eliminated, just renewed again! And I cannot install any of these Malwarebytes Anti Malware or SuperAntiSpyware. The installer just sits in memory doing nothing. So I'm only attaching hijackthis log.

This is the guide which I used to remove Win32.Virut (found on
    I'm thinking now about using a Dr.Web live cd for treating Virut. What do you think about it? Please suggest how to fully clean my system, I don't want to format and reinstall OS...

Attached Files:

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

3. daylight

daylight TS Rookie Topic Starter

Writing from linux live cd now...

After I removed kaspersky and restarted I cannot boot up windows anymore because of missing files:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: System32\Drivers\pci.sys" (isapnp.sys, ntfs.sys)

Then I used recovery console and copied these missing files: pci.sys, isapnp.sys, ntfs.sys from original windows xp bootable cd. But now I am stuck and get the same boot up error even though I copied ntfs.sys many times. So what's up with that ntfs.sys ? It's there but it won't load. Please help...
  4. kimsland

Start your computer up in Safe Mode (press F8 key before Windows starts loading)

Entering Safe Mode and finally getting to Safe Mode Desktop
    Click on Start > Run > SFC /ScanNow > ok
    (Note 1 space after SFC)

You may need your Windows CD during the scan
    No data will be lost
    And you will still be activated ok
  5. daylight

daylight TS Rookie Topic Starter

Safe mode doesn't start either... stops right after trying to load ntfs.sys with same error message.

Tried "chkdsk /R" in recovery console - didn't help.
    Tried to swap/take out RAM sticks - didn't help.
    Tried to repair windows installation from CD - copied files successfully but after reboot during setup finalization, input devices (keyboard and mouse - both USB) totally froze so I couldn't select marvel LAN drivers and couldn't continue with finalization. Something wrong with USB? Really strange...

Seems that my last try is to format and do a fresh install? :( I'm out of ideas, please suggest something.
  6. kimsland

Try the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows to help backup your important data. The link also includes help installing Windows clean :)

Please note: Normally uninstalling Kaspersky would not stop Windows from loading
    I suspect that some of your Windows System Files were Virus infected, and therefore corrupt

You can also use the UBCDforWin to scan for Virus, or backup as well.
    Another point is do not format, remove the partition instead ie clean
  7. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.