Win7 BSOD help, files attached

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveleau

Hi everybody!

I have a up-until-recently stable Windows 7 install on my desktop. It's a Gateway DX4200-09 (Specs here: http://tinyurl.com/DX4200-09).

The system has the following modifications:
Linksys wireless internet card
new DVD-RW (old one died)
Win 7 upgrade (from Win Vista)

I have a current and up-to-date Avast antivirus that detects no viruses and run an up-to-date Comodo firewall.

System runs perfectly until I start EITHER Firefox or Internet Explorer. ANYTIME I try to open either program, the screen freaks out and I get the BAD_POOL_HEADER BSOC. Tried reinstallation of both browsers, but no change. Tried reverting to previous restore point, but no change. I can access data through my wireless card from other programs (ie, Avast still updates without causing BSOD.)

Attached is the BlueScreenView v1.26 data (text file called dump.txt with info on all dump files.) And, I uploaded two zipped groups of raw dump files. There represent all the crashes.

Please help me figure out what exactly is crashing the system and how I can fix this.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Dave

Attachments

• dump.txt
    18.1 KB · Views: 1
  • dump1.zip
    103.9 KB · Views: 1
  • dump2.zip
    143 KB · Views: 1
Also, system ran perfectly well until I installed the Genius MousePen 8x6. It is supposedly Win 7 compliant. Genius MousePen 8x6: http://tinyurl.com/geniuspad

The hardware worked great, but then my browsers started acting up almost immediately. I HAVE disconnected the device and uninstalled the software, but it has not changed the status.

I ran 4 copies of Memtest on my system for 1 hour (1000MB on 3 and 600 MB on the last). System handled it without a problem. No BSOD. No errors.

Every dump file is the same error 0x00000019: BAD_POOL_HEADER
A pool header issue is a problem with Windows memory allocation. Device driver issues are probably the msot common, but this can have diverse causes including bad sectors or other disk write issues, and problems with some routers.

Unfortunantly almost every dump cited the Windows OS driver win32k.sys and OS drivers are usually too general to be of much help. A few dumps cite POOL_CORRUPTION which means corruted drivers are causing problems but nothi9ng definitive was mentioned as to waht driver(s).

I am familiar with the Genius pads as well as Bamboo and Havnor as I have been researching for my son. It appears there is a driver or two still installed.

Thanks, Route44. That's what I was afraid of.

Would the best thing be to reinstall Win 7 or to research a way to uninstall the Genius drivers or something else?

At this point I think the best guess is a Genius device driver considering no issues until you installed the program software. A real shame, too, because those pads are a lot of fun and intuitive.

We really try to discourage reformatting except as a last option. Go with the simplest and most probable first: Genius drivers. Contact the company, tell them of the number of minidumps cited and give the error code. Then tell them that you had absolutely no PC issues until you installed their software and after you uninstalled said software the issues continue.

Make sure you tell them about internet problems and make sure you tell the OS you are using.

*** Please keep us updated. I personally would like to know how this is resolved.

Tech support is closed (I figured it would be on a Sunday). Will have to keep on my wife's system until I can fix it later this week.
Dumping data to backup drive just in case.
All drivers crashing, it seems. Lost multimedia drive and CD/DVD burner from drivers. Sound/video still works.

I will let you know how things go. I bought tow of these Genius pads. One's for my wife's design work, and mine is for note taking during masters classes. I really hope to get these up and running. I do believe my situation is unique as I did a fair amount of research prior to this, and didn't see this issue. I wonder if my Comodo firewall stopping the installation every time the registry was edited had anything to do with this...

Firewalls will definitely do what you stated. It has happened to me to now I totally shut-down my firewall, install the software and then re-enable the firewall.

It concerns me so many of your drivers are crashing. Do the following:

1. Start > Run > type ChkDsk > Okay. At Stage 2 notice if it says recovering lost files. This goes fast.

2. Scan for infections.

Thanks, Route44 for the help. The issue was partly the wireless card I had as it was rigged to work in Win 7. It is a WMP54G v4.1 and I had manipulated Win 7 to get it to work. That explained why whenever I went into Firefox/IE that it caused a BSOD. I was just surprised that it did not give a BSOD when Avast AV updated.

Regardless, I have a new wireless NIC and the Genius MousePen is working well under Windows 7.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back