Win7 BSOD with tcpip.sys

I'm getting random BSOD's with tcpip.sys and I can't figure out what is causing them. I'm inclined to think it may be RAM, but I want to see if there is anything obvious I'm missing first. I have run the .dmp file through the debugger but just don't really know what to look for.

I'm attaching my system files, but this is my first time posting so please let me know if I'm not doing it right. Attached will be my dxdiag and 3 recent crash dump files.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    31.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 011611-20592-01.zip
    78.5 KB · Views: 2
First thing I would try is to completely uninstall Spyware Doctor and replace the protection with Microsoft Security Essentials which is as good if not better and it is free.

If a removal tool is available on the Spyware Doctor internet site then use it, or just uninstall with its built in uninstall facility or through Programs and Features.

Use this guide to uninstall any obsolete drivers that might be contributing to the problem. (This does apply to windows 7)

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/remove-old-drivers-after-upgrading-to-new-hardware/

Download and install Microsoft Security Essentials, make sure you select the correct version for your OS and bit rate.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/support.aspx?mkt=en-us

The three minidumps point to different faults, one mentions Spyware Doctor as a contributary factor so it is worth removing from the equation. Ipod service is also mentioned but unlikely to be the cause. Looking in Event Viewer may reveal some more information on the reasons for these crashes.

As these crash dumps are all different another thing to consider is a possible fault with your memory sticks. If you have more than one stick, run the PC on one stick at a time, if the fault continues swap to another stick until they are all tested.

See how this goes, if no improvements, we can move on to further tests.

Yeah I forgot to mention that I did already uninstall Spyware Doctor and replaced it with Microsoft essentials, which did solve a few other problems but now I'm getting the tcpip.sys errors.

I'm thinking it may be memory only because I started out with 4gb (2x2gb) and added another 2gb stick about a month later, same brand and speed, but not from the same bundle. Is tcpip.sys likely to be caused by memory issues?

Also: What specifically should I be looking for in event viewer?

Memory is always best installed in matching pairs and with an equal amount on each channel. With your present configuration this could be causing the problems, did you get any BSOD's before you added the extra stick? If "Yes" then that is the problem. Run through the tests I suggested to see if any one stick produces faults.

Next time there is a crash go in to Event Viewer and look for errors that occured in the last hour and see what the details are. You will find this in the center pane under Summary of Administrative Events.

I doubt that tcpip.sys is the cause of the BSOD's, if it was malfunctioning or had been corrupted you would most likely be having problems connecting to the internet.

Back