TechSpot

Win7 won't load

By Photo601
Aug 7, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Greetings. It's been awhile since I have had an opportunity to visit. I was upgrading my rig to Win 7 from XP. The system booted and windows loaded the files. Once it reached the blue Win7 splash screen, everything stopped. I tried two separate installation discs and two separate hard drives. same result each time. I reseated everything I could but no joy. Installation dies at same point. I had previously run XP Pro with no glitches.

I am running a EVGA 680i mobo, 4 GB Corsair memory. three WD HDD's (3 TB total) 2 Evga 651 TI Video cards in SLI and an Antec 750 PSU. I lost video at one point. I removed one of the cards an, after booting, had video. I reinstalled the other card and had no problems. After all that, the install dies in same spot.
    I am at a loss why the install stops in the same spot. It's my understanding an OS installs to memory first, then upon first reboot it writes to the hard drive.
    I have installed XP numerous times and Win 7 five or six times. This is the first time this has happened and I have nothing to fall back on for an explanation.
    I'm looking for input.

2. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Maniac Posts: 1,850   +184

Sure your Win 7 DVD is not bad.

3. Photo601

Photo601 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 80

Positive. The second disk I tried has already been used to load on a separate machine. That load went smooth.

4. Photo601

Update: Last night I sat down to further troubleshoot. With the exception of the LED lights, nothing works. Looks like a new mobo on the way.

5. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Maniac Posts: 1,850   +184

Glad to hear you figure it Out. Sorry to hear it was the mother board.

Thanks for posting back.

6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,449   +324

Can you access BIOS?

7. Photo601

When I could boot the system, yes. Now, it won't turn on. I only get the LED lights coming on.

8. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,449   +324

Sorry man - - it's fried

Cobalt006 likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.