Win7x64 - P2P locking up PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gradient

I'm not entirely sure if the problem is with Windows or my hardware, but I'll post it here and see what other people have to say. I installed the first public beta of Win 7 at the same time I installed a new motherboard, because in the time it took to diagnose and replace the old mobo I largely buggered my old Vista install and decided to make a fresh start. Since then, my PC has had a few complete lock-ups, but while there have been just one or two random ones in the last few months, they are absolutely guaranteed to happen if I run a torrent. As long as they aren't running too long it is usually okay, but for large ones such as a Linux ISO the entire thing locks up, generally within a matter of minutes. This much I've established:

- It happens a lot less frequently in safe mode.
- If it does happen in safe mode, I've noticed the taskbar clock continuing to run normally even though everything else is completely locked up.
- Event Viewer doesn't crop up anything out of ordinary.
- Heavy net usage doesn't cause a problem, just torrents.
- Some settings, like Firefox options and preferences, usually get reset when it happens no matter how long ago the last lock-up was.

I've tried Bittorrent, Bitcomet and uTorrent, none of which solve it. I've used three different releases of Win7, the current being the official RC1, all x64. I'm wondering if it is the motherboard, somehow, but I have no idea. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,
Phil

Intel Q6600
4GB RAM
Nvidia 8600GTS
Sitecom wireless card

Update your NIC drivers, other than that its pretty tough to diagnose because it doesn't seem to be client specific.

Not a retail release of the OS, so my best guess is the default drivers for your card can't handle the amount of traffic a torrent requires.

I know retail releases are not error proof, but little problems are bound to occur in RCs and betas, that is why they tell you not to run it on machines that are important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back