Win98 and winxp on the same hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pop

Hi.This must have been asked before but please bear with me,I want to install win98 and winxp (home) on the one sata HD,how to partition and have access to them,in simple terms would be much appreciated

Thanks for your reply.One question should I use fat32 for win98 and winxp?.
Regards Pop

You should install 98 first really, but I'm not even sure you can make 98 install on an sata drive.. you probably can, but good luck.

Anyway you always install the older OS first, and then the next os on a different partition, that way the newer OS's boot loader still works.

You shoudl use fat32 for xp if you want to be able to access that partition from within windows98.

Also - nice link sifugreg, I've been waiting for a detailed way to do that, I figured you could, but its hard to find anyone thats ever written about it.

Yes, it's the only operating system they both have in common. The reason you install XP first, is you use it's boot manager to chose which operating system to boot from. NT based operating systems boot differently using NT Loader. You can't do it the other way around unless you use a third party boot manager. If you put 98 on first, then try to install NT, There will be no way to boot into Windows98.

No thats wrong. If you install 98 first, then install XP it will see the 98 installation and and put that as an option in boot.ini which shows up then when you start up your computer. You can choose between 98 and XP. Many people have done it that way, and its actually the recommended way to do it. Always install the oldest operating system first (when dealing with Windows).

Windows XP must be installed last. Otherwise important files needed for starting Windows XP could be overwritten
Source: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/meandxp.mspx

That is why I commented on your link, because like I said, I knew it had to be possible, just hadn't seen it explained. The easiest and 'correct' way is to have 98 installed first.

You're right, I don't know what I was thinking. I must have been over-thinking it. I've done it before and obviously 98 must be on the partition for XP to see it. I was gone there for a moment. Thanks for driving that point home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back