Win98 SE boot up problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLx/P

I have a Compaq laptop. When you press the power button it acts like it gonna boot as normal. The screen goes black, then I get "It is now safe to turn off you computer". The only way I have been able to get around this is to remove the battery. After doing this it boots up just fine.

Anyone ever heard of this?!?

Sounds like the laptop is going into standby instead of shutting down. When it says it's safe to shut down your computer maybe you should hold your power button down for several seconds. That should shut it off. There is probably some place you can alter the behavior of your power button but seeing as how I just took lots of perscription strength allergy medication I can't think clearly enough to give you any ideas on this.

LNCPapa

No, the laptop is already OFF. When I turn the power on and it starts to boot. This is when I get "It is now safe to turn you computer off".

Does your battery hold a charge?

I have seen instances where a bad battery influences powering on/off.

Yes the battery is fine. Last night I even took the battery completely out, before I tryed to boot up the laptop. Same thing happens even when plugged into the wall. Once again if I unplug it while it is on the "now safe to turn you computer off" screen. Then the next time it boots just fine. But as soon as I shut it down again, the next time I try to boot it I get the same thing again.

Try booting to safe mode and look if there are any driver / hardware problems (in Device Manager). Did you install something that caused this?

I've booted in safe mode, saw nothing out of the ordinary. And I have not installed any new software, also have not updated any drivers latley either. I don't really use this laptop for anything else than checking email when I travel for work.

LNC, what do you mean? Does it get to the initial Windows screen? No, it doesn't.

For instance, do you see the big red COMPAQ splash screen when you power it on? Or do you see the POST (which is all the *garbage* that tells you what's going on when it's booting up) when you first push the power on button? By the way, when shutting the laptop down is the "It is now safe to turn off your computer" window the last thing you see? And if so, at that screen do you hit the power button? If this is the case then I think somehow your power button has been configured to put the laptop into standby mode instead of actually powering down.

LNCPapa

The first thing I see is the Compaq splash screen, then it goes black. About 5 seconds later the "its now safe to turn off your computer" is displayed.

And yes that is the last screen I see when shutting down. Thats when I press the power button. But if what your saying is the case, why after I unplug the laptop at this screen during boot up, it works just fine the next time I turn the laptop on?

I've seen that in 95, 98 and even 2000. The only solution I've found that really fixes the problem is to reinstall the OS.

It's also the quickest since you can spend hours pulling out your hair trying to figure out what DLL's are corrupted or if your Registry is trashed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back