Win98 Shutdown Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomrice32

I'm running win98 sp2. I've got all the microsoft updates for it but when i try to shut it down it gets to the "windows 98 is shutting down" screen and then freezes and i have to use the power button.

This doesn't always happen just sometimes, other times it goes right off properly. Has anyone got any ideas to how i could stop this happening? Thanks

do u have the latest updates? i also had the same prob on my old computer, but i went to the windows update site and downloaded the fix for that. i havent had this problem ever since.

Could it be a problem with APM (Advanced Poer Management) or something of that sort. Try checking those settings and seeing if that fixes anything. Sorry this is not very explaining, but I'm about to go out the door to get out of town and wanted to give you a shot at soemthing.

try this

click start
click run
type msconfig
click advanced...
check Disable FastShutdown <if it is there>

try it

Networking devices can cause Windows to freeze. Try disabling or removing your network adpaters and PPP.O.E devices (if you have them). Then reboot and then try restarting.

If this fixes your problem, then your network adapter is to blame. Updating the driver may fix this.

Please keep in mind you will have to reenable these items and restart to get your Internet access back.

If you do not have DSL, Cable or network devices installed, then forget this message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back