win98 unknown device?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidabiri

hi,
i'm installing win98 on old pc (pentium III). all the devices have been installed and resolved except one with a yellow question mark (unknow device). anybody know what this is? and where the driver would be?
i'm guessing it might be usb, but does win98 have the driver for it?

Welcome to Techspot
You have to find out what the device is.
You can start by letting 98 tell you. If there is no indication of what it is in device Manager ,just uninstall it there by right clicking it > Uninstall.
Then you could either reboot and watch as windows try to re-install you might get a glimpse of what it is, in the installation windows that pop up.
Or go to Add & Remove hardware in Control Panel and start the hardware wizard it will let you choose the drivers if think you know and point windows at the driver file , or tell windows you want to pick what the device is and then install the drivers .You will get a number of different choices
If it is a USB item you probably need to provide drvers
You can also check in Accessories > system tools>system information, and see if some hardware is listed that you do not see in device manager.

thanks,
it is win98-se. windows doesn't know what the device is. that's why it's showing up in the device manager as a question mark with description "unknown". i have a feeling it may be usb device. because i looked at the back of the pc, and there's a usb port. i saw all devices installed, but never saw usb being installed by windows. so, i'm going to see if i can choose it from a list of devices when i lanuch "add hw wizard".
thanks again.

can be a motherboard device

This sort of thing can be something on the motherboard. As it is an old motherboard, the choices are not great- maybe onboard sound, firewire, ethernet, modem.

If everything you need works, just ignore it, dont even bother to disable the device (it will keep coming back anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back