Window 7 Nightmare

I'm a newbie but a super quick study. Please help! I was given a HP Compaq v2000 laptop several months ago 32 bit Windows xp. A "friend" of mine upgraded me to Win7. All hell broke loose. First of all he had to rebuild my drivers and after that it worked ok for a couple of weeks and then a start it and it shows Compaq screen with Bios option then to bootmsg missing hit ctl alt del to restart and remains in loop. My friend gave me a copy of a 32x win 7 installation dvd. First I restart hit f10 and got to screen set Lang, currency so forth, tried to repair did not work . There's nothing on laptop that is detrimental so I don't need to backup anything. I put in installation disk and got 1/4 of the way through and it said file or directory c\temp is corrupted or unreadable please run chkdsk. I don't know what the heck to do can someone please tell me step by step what to do? Assume I'm a quick learning *****. Please help me no kidding I've been trying to fix this for literally weeks. I don't have access to another 32 bit pc to download a new repair Disc from Microsoft or I would. I do have a Samsung Tablet can I run a usb charging cable to laptop and somehow transfer download from Microsoft to repair whatever it is?

"I put in installation disk and got 1/4 of the way through and it said file or directory c\temp is corrupted or unreadable please run chkdsk. "

Sounds like HDD is failing, but could be heat issue. Can you check temps in BIOS?

If you haven't cleaned dust out of machine it could be simply overheating inside. Go to YouTube and find a video on cleaning your model of laptop.

If the Windows installer is failing then that's a good indication you've got faulty hardware of some description.

It might be a bit of hardware you can replace like the memory or hard drive but the computer is so old that it's unlikely to be worthwhile.

Back