TechSpot

Windowns do not Recognize HD

By luizotavio39
Mar 23, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a dell pc p4, and 3 hds,one external 160GB, one 80gb internal, and now I just got this samsung 80 gig 7200 hd... my problem : I have install the Samsung, and the DOS system finds it... but Windons do not... what Am I doing wrong ????
  2. luizotavio39

luizotavio39 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Addditional info

I have windowns XP Home edition, and the HD is the slave... when I go to my computer it does show anything.
  3. altheman

altheman Newcomer, in training Posts: 541

did you format and make a partition on it?? windows cant read drives without partitions. to make one do the following:

WARNING, ANY DATA YOU HAVE ON THE NEW HD WILL BE DELETED BY THE FOLLOWING METHOD (no need to worry if its new or you don't care ;-) )

1-right click my computer -> manage
    2- go to disk management
    3- right click the new hd ->format
    4- leave the default options and click ok.

it can take quite a while to format so you might as well make a cuppa :stickout:
  4. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

if you cann't see the short there go to control panel maintaince /admin tools
    computer management
    may need a drive letter assigned as well as formatted
  5. luizotavio39

luizotavio39 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks a lot both ! I think it will work just fine !

Right now is in the process of formating it...

Just to let you aware, I dont know if any one needs a extra HD... I just bought it at COMPUSA... and after rebates it will have a final cost of $ 9.99 (plus tax of course, going to probably 15 dollars, where can you buy a hd of 80 GB for only 15 ?, offers ends tomorrow March 25.)

Also they have dvd burners for 29 dollars (after rebate) and DVD-R 30 units for only 5.99...

Again thanks a lot for the information, you guys save my day ! :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.