<windowroot>\system32\hal.dll. file missing on boot - please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlB

I am getting this message when I try to start up my laptop, I removed a program via add/remove programs which had nothing to do with windows and when I restarted my laptop all I get is this message.
I have tried altering the boot order to boot from CD but no joy.
tried running XP disc from DOS with no joy
tried win 98 startup disk but thats about it, unless I want to re-install win98 (which I dont!)
((Just in case anyones woundering I'm posting this off another PC))
can ANYBODY help please.

Click on your start button, select run, Then type "regedit". Then click edit at the top and select find. Type in the name of the program that you uninstalled and search for it. Delete all references to it and that should cure the problem. Feel free to ask if you are not sure about anything.

Hope that helps. Rik.

Thanks for the thought rik but........
Cant get to the start menu, wont progress as far as that.
On startup I can get the 1st screen 'F2' for BOIS etc, then the 'press any key to continue' screen then I get the error message.
If I hit any key after I get the error message I get a DOS promt.

There will be a "halt on all errors" in your bios, if it will let you, change it to "halt on no errors". This should allow you to get into windows.

Tried to disable halt on all errors but the BIOS does not give that option.
Would there be any way of getting hold of <windowroot>\system32\hal.dll. and putting it to disk then loading it from DOS??

I did go through this and didn't get anywhere, I tried booting from CD (after changing boot order) but nothing happened.
I ran a scan disc with win98 start up disc which did not show any hard drive errors.
I have been having a look on the net about the error msg "system32\hal.dll" and everything I have read on the net, and FB from TS members suggests booting from CD should work? am I missing the obvious?
is it because its an upgrade?
Do I have to reformat?

Indications:
  • May allow Windows to load properly if there are critical driver, software or registry problems which have rendered the system unbootable. (Blue screens, hanging, errors etc..)

• the above did confuse me a little what does
  • mean :blush:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back