Windows 10 Cloud looks to be Microsoft's answer to Chrome OS

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft has struggled to keep tablet and budget-minded notebook buyers within its “walled garden” of software and services. Apple’s iPad was a serious competitor at one point yet as of late, it is Google’s Chrome OS and resulting Chromebooks that have been chomping away at market share traditionally owned by Microsoft.

That’s not to say Microsoft hasn’t given this segment of the market attention. Indeed, Windows RT and Windows 8.1 with Bing were both lower-cost operating systems designed for entry-level use but neither gained traction for a variety of reasons.

Evidence has recently cropped up that suggests Microsoft will soon try once again to win over the market with a low-cost version of its current operating system called Windows 10 Cloud.

As ZDNet’s well-connected Mary Jo Foley points out, sleuths have discovered mentions of the mysterious version of Windows inside newer versions of Windows Insider test builds. Sources tell Foley that Windows 10 Cloud will be unique in that it’ll be able to run only Unified Windows Platform (UWP) apps from the Windows Store.

Despite its name, Windows 10 Cloud won’t really have anything to do with the cloud in the traditional sense.

When probed on the matter, a Microsoft rep told Foley they had nothing to share.

Foley’s guess is that Microsoft will unveil Windows 10 Cloud on or around April 2017 which, according to her sources, is when the company will start rolling out Windows 10 Creators Update to mainstream users.

Lead image courtesy Elaine Thompson, AP

Permalink to story.

"Sources tell Foley that Windows 10 Cloud will be unique in that it’ll be able to run only Unified Windows Platform (UWP) apps from the Windows Store."

So Windows 10: Crippleware Edition?

At this point, Microsoft really just need to admit defeat. They left it 5 years too late to compete with Apple/Google in the mobile market, and they've been trying and failing badly to over-compensate by treating production based PC's as consumption devices like tablet's, persistently "not getting it" that people use PC's precisely because they aren't locked down or "walled" into single-brand store-fronts...

When was the last time MS released something compelling software wise and what makes them think that Win 10 Cloud will be their saviour? UWP certainly doesn't instill any confidence in me.

It might be a "cloud" as in requiring a user account, maybe on the lines of working with OneDrive to have both configurations and documents wherever you go always on sync. It makes sense now that storage in the cloud is cheap. Computers have been trying to go this way for quite a while.

On the other hand it could be a tablet like lighter OS, shrugs we will have to wait and see.

Is that all it takes from Microsoft? An insider build referencing something and everyone bashes without even knowing what it is... wow simply wow.

I imagine the guy on the picturing saying "I mean, just look at this sh*t"
Oh boy yet another on spot one liner that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic.

"low-cost"

If it isn't free, you aren't going to see it on many devices. People making $60 tablets are not going to spend a $30 microsoft tax for an OS with little to no mobile footprint.

When was the last time MS released something compelling software wise and what makes them think that Win 10 Cloud will be their saviour? UWP certainly doesn't instill any confidence in me.

It's been a long time. Their core products are essentially the same as they were 10 years ago. The only difference is that everything now has a dash of cloud. The UWP will continue to fail until Microsoft realizes that companies aren't going to pay licensing fees for low cost mobile devices. They already serve ads to regular windows uses so I don't see how they don't have a model in place to make money without charging upfront. They can also do an ad-free version for premium mobile devices, although they don't even offer that for their full desktop OS.

Especially at this point where they are screwing over their desktop market, while trying to forced those failures down everyone's throat.

I took one of the early Microsoft Windows 10 courses and the Microsoft Rep said "There will only be one version of Windows into the future, No Windows RT, no service packs. Just Windows 10.", so much for that.

As Windows 10 continues its downward spiral I was also thinking that with Intel discontinuing CPU driver support for Windows 7; in effect jumping on the Windows 10 bandwagon, that they could be hurting their market share as well. It could open another door for AMD, IF Zen performs well and AMD says "We will continue to write drivers for Windows 7!" they could really benefit from this.

As Windows 10 continues its downward spiral I was also thinking that with Intel discontinuing CPU driver support for Windows 7; in effect jumping on the Windows 10 bandwagon, that they could be hurting their market share as well. It could open another door for AMD, IF Zen performs well and AMD says "We will continue to write drivers for Windows 7!" they could really benefit from this.
I completely agree that continued Windows 7 support is a golden opportunity for AMD to appeal to a lot more people who buy Intel by default (especially given Windows 10's measly 25% market share). Having said that, Microsoft's endless "warnings" and "helpful threats" over Kaby Lake have been shown to be yet more baseless fear-mongering twice over:-

1. 100 series boards (which all have full Windows 7 support) have now all received Kaby Lake BIOS updates, so KL CPU's on H110/B150/H170/Z170 motherboards on Windows 7 is zero problem.

2. Despite saying they won't, Intel have already quietly provided Windows 7 drivers (21.20.16.4526 WHQL) for Kaby Lake HD 610/630 iGPU's, with others confirming that it's working (both CPU, iGPU, HDMI audio output, 4K over DisplayPort, etc).

So even Intel are being more pragmatic that Microsoft's sulking "permits", and hopefully AMD will follow suit in having their theoretical 'official non-support' become just as "flexible" in practise post Zen launch...

It's heeeerre, (*), boyz, gurls, and Windows 10 loving mental defectives of all ages, Windows as a paid subscription service! :eek::D

(*) (or at least around the very next corner)

Last edited:
Microsoft should just offer windows 10 home for free for personal or 1-4 units small office/home office setting, eliminating piracy and encouraging users to move to the latest windows 10 build asap.
Pro, Enterprise Packs are paid upgrade modules.
Business use of windows 10 for 5 PCs and beyond are covered by volume licensing.

Back