Windows 10 Creators Update arrives early on the PC

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The long-awaited Windows 10 Creators Update is now available to PC users despite the fact that Microsoft hasn’t yet officially announced its availability.

ISO files for Windows 10 build 15063 (rumored to be the Release to Manufacturing (RTM) build) recently appeared on Microsoft’s servers and there are two ways to go about the installation process.

As The Verge notes, you can grab the ISO files (in your choice of 32-bit or 64-bit flavors), mount them using Windows 10’s File Explorer and run the setup.exe file to upgrade to the Creators Update.

Optionally, as Neowin outlines, you can pick up a new version of the Windows 10 Update Assistant and use it to update to build 15063. Be warned, however, that if you have the previous version of the Assistant tool on a PC running the Anniversary Update (or an earlier version of Windows 10), it’ll tell you that your device is up-to-date and leave it at that.

Microsoft as of writing has not revealed when it plans to officially roll out the Creators Update to the general public (it hit the Windows Insider fast and slow rings last week). Although this appears to be the final RTM build, it’s always possible that Microsoft could squeeze in a last-minute bug fix or two between now and the public launch which most expect will take place on April 11 (Patch Tuesday).

Permalink to story.

I still can't get 1607 to install on my SP3... already had to reimage once due to a botched update previous round. Glad I can use WSUS to decline updates. Will wait to see if this one has problems.

I know the Kinect v2 isn't that big of a deal anymore but it would be nice if they would add some better support for it since there is still some neat stuff you can do with it.

My W10 32 bit desktop is stubbornly refusing to install a hefty cumulative update - KB4015438. Often you have to have all Windows updates installed before you can upgrade to a new version of Windows so this is really annoying.

I just did the Anniversary on two of my computers last night. I run and will continue to do 7 on my other three. ...the ones that count

Looks like neither the link nor the upgrade assistant are working for this update right now for me.

**EDIT**

Working now, as of 19:41 EST

Last edited:
I tried this and apparently it installed an earlier build of 1607, which is very strange. Just gonna wait until the official build is out. Too much confusion with this installation process.

I'm hoping that the next version is much the same to use as before. For me the Anniversary Edition didn't seem any different but I replaced my nVidia graphics card which was throwing up the occasional blue screen. The more complicated Windows 10 gets the more the likelihood of problems. The Home edition at the moment can't cope with a glitchy Windows update. I believe that with the Professional version you can block them without needing to turn off Windows update service.

A bit off topic, but amusing... Yesterday I did an experiment on my coworkers. I took their drinks out of the refrigerator and replaced them all with RC Cola. I told them they got a "free upgrade!". Sounds familiar doesn't it? Needless to say it didn't go well. I have since been asked to seek employment opportunities elsewhere. Dang...

As the official release isn't here yet there should be no surprise that there's an issue with Microsoft links. For anybody unable to contain their patience finding a working download should be doable. It makes more sense to wait for the official date which is only about two weeks off.

Well, so did the update, my computer came to a grinding halt, lost all my data, the drive was messed up, I had to rebuild my machine, downloaded the latest windows 10 - 6/4/2017 and did a clean build, my machine takes 3 min to boot completely on the desk top.

Please Microsoft, lets get some Linux engineer to re write your os.

Windows 10 a Vista Repeat of Failure, XP (Win) Vista (FAIL) Win 7 (Win) Win 8 (Fail) Win 10 (Fail) Windows 7...I love you and will have you back

OK, but why after messing up your computer by being too quick off the mark to install the next version of Windows 10 have you not installed Windows 7? There is an insider program for users who want to be bang up to date but you did not join it.

I went to update WD yesterday via settings>update & settings & saw it mentioned so I bit the bullet & all went fine. Took about 2 hours or so & all went well. The only "visible" difference I see so far is an envelope on my taskbar that when clicked on, goes to my 2 most used email addresses. Otherwise all ok.

Back