Windows 10 "Fall Update" is reportedly coming in November

Scorpus

Staff member

Trusted Microsoft expert Paul Thurrott has revealed that a significant Windows 10 update, known by its codename 'Threshold 2', will be released in November as the Windows 10 "Fall Update".

The update will be delivered through Windows Update like any other update, meaning it won't require any user intervention to install, provided you have automatic updates enabled. It will be reportedly released as a cumulative update so that users don't have to download an entire Windows 10 build.

Windows 10's Fall Update won't include a huge array of new features, but Thurrott does mention some interesting improvements we can expect. The Media Creation Tool will be completely overhauled in the Fall Update, Cortana will be updated with new features and support for new locales, and Edge will receive "various improvements" with the exception of add-ons.

Microsoft is also set to change and improve the way Windows 10 is activated in the Fall Update. Those upgrading to or installing the OS will be able to activate Windows 10 by entering their Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 product keys, provided the product key matches the correct edition of Windows 10.

Many of the features that Microsoft have been testing in recent Windows 10 Insider Preview builds will also make its way to the Fall Update. We'll have to wait until November to hear more about what exactly we can expect.

Permalink to story.

After last update search stopped working and computer wont turn off. And 5.1 still doesn't work correctly (at least it works in test now).

After last update search stopped working and computer wont turn off. And 5.1 still doesn't work correctly (at least it works in test now).
I assume this is the computer reboots instead of shutting down problem rather than it just not turning off at all? If so then it is probably a driver crashing during shutdown that causes the Win10 equivalent of an old-fashioned blue-screen + immediate restart. Try to catch a view of the crash screen to figure out what is causing the crash or check your system logs.

I know someone who had a similar issue. It was fixed by running the windows repair function from the disk image on a USB drive. Might be worth a try?

Honestly I have stopped using Chrome when I upgraded to Win 10 and I have no problems with Edge. All the pages I usually visit work perfectly and it never crashed or anything. I have to mention that I don't use add-ons but I live happily without them.
I Don't understand this hype about these minor details. Perhaps not minor for many...

I really like Windows 10, actually I don't understand why the hate from some people. As for the Edge discussion, Edge is the fastest explorer my PC opens, if you to search something quickly, Edge does it lightning fast.

I really like Windows 10, actually I don't understand why the hate from some people. As for the Edge discussion, Edge is the fastest explorer my PC opens, if you to search something quickly, Edge does it lightning fast.
Oh, but that would require admitting that Edge is actually a decent browser, and that comments like, "you actually use Edge", are just hating for, well... Ummm... because reasons. We cant have that now, can we? /s

" It will be reportedly released as a cumulative update so that users don't have to download an entire Windows 10 build."

Are you trying to spin this as a good thing? A major release like this absolutely should be released as a stand-alone .ISO that allows a fresh full install.

I am not saying don't release it as a cumulative update but don't release it "only" as a cumulative update either.

It took me, basically, a full day to re-install Windows 7 with 200+ updates. People need to re-install fresh for many reasons.

Major milestone releases should always be accompanied by an .ISO with fully integrated updates included.

Oh, but that would require admitting that Edge is actually a decent browser, and that comments like, "you actually use Edge", are just hating for, well... Ummm... because reasons. We cant have that now, can we? /s

Its not really hating to be hating. Microsoft bears some of the responsibility for releasing products that they know are not finished. Edge may be getting better as time goes on which is expected but reputations are hard to over come. I haven't even looked at the Edge browser lately because of how barren it was in the beginning.

And honestly if you already have a browser like Chrome that you know, it is reliable, and it works it creates less of a demand to look for anything else. The developer tools in Chrome are top notch. So, I don't seek out alternatives.

Although, I am reconsidering my choice of browsers for "actual browsing". Call me naive, but I think I am being subjected to way more "normal" advertising using Chrome browser than I would be using other browsers. I'm gonna research this. If so, I may be looking for an alternative. Edge probably isn't that alternative for this purpose.

I use Edge when it comes to watching videos. Firefox and Palemoon after their current updates are slow to play videos for some reason, but Edge plays them with no problem. They need to hurry up with that ad-blocker
Yeah I tried it for a bit and although I didn't find anything wrong with it I went back to what I was used to.

Edge is a useless piece of **** for businesses at the moment, there is no compatibility view to support older sites. This pretty much makes the browser useless, sticking to IE11 and chrome at the moment.

I like Windows 10 and how things sync well; even phone's theme, WiFi, gps, apps, and unlock pin can be synced. But the system doesn't feels new; more like putting new floors boards in granny's old house.

Hopefully they will fix some of the real annoyances that crop up in Windows 10: Like the little screen that tells "you have no app to open the page" that is being shown. There are others and Microsoft needs to have a site where you can tell them- straight to Microsoft, not a forum or site that directs you elsewhere. Whenever one tries to provide rational feedback, one gets to irrational sites. So forget the whole thing and use a third party program instead.

I assume this is the computer reboots instead of shutting down problem rather than it just not turning off at all? If so then it is probably a driver crashing during shutdown that causes the Win10 equivalent of an old-fashioned blue-screen + immediate restart. Try to catch a view of the crash screen to figure out what is causing the crash or check your system logs.

I have none of these problems in Windows 8.1 :)

Back