Windows 10 is now installed on 300 million devices, free upgrade offer to end this summer

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft said on Thursday that Windows 10 is now running on 300 million active devices around the world, an increase of 30 million over the 270 million devices figure Microsoft provided in March during at its annual Build developer conference.

It’s a significant accomplishment as the Redmond-based company closes in on the one year anniversary of its latest operating system, which it describes as a service rather than a traditional OS.

At its Build conference in 2015, Microsoft said it expects Windows 10 to run on a billion devices within two to three years. At the current rate of adoption, that seems doable in about three years.

It’s worth pointing out that Windows 10 devices include PCs, tablets, smartphones and the company’s Xbox One game console.

Microsoft also revealed that it’ll soon be doing away with its free upgrade path. In a post on the matter, Yusuf Mehdi, Corporate Vice President of Microsoft’s Windows and Devices Group, said the free upgrade offer will end on July 29. After that date, you’ll need to fork over $119 to upgrade to Windows 10 Home or install it on a new device.

Users have taken to Windows 10 faster than Windows 7 or Windows 8 but of course, the free upgrade offer likely had a lot to do with that. One can only wonder how heavily adoption of Windows 10 will be impacted once the option to upgrade free of charge is off the table.

Permalink to story.

"It’s worth pointing out that Windows 10 devices include PCs, tablets, smartphones and the company’s Xbox One game console."

"Users have taken to Windows 10 faster than Windows 7 or Windows 8"

How can someone write these two sentences in the same article? It's like saying you sold more pears than ever but mention that you are adding in spoiled and crushed pears as well.

Microsoft is doing the same thing that Apple did with the iWatch. Burying a smaller number into a bigger one to make it look better. If microsoft was so proud of Windows 10 adoption they wouldn't need to combine platform numbers and they wouldn't need to essentially pull windows 7 user's teeth to get them to upgrade.

Statements like this come off as shady at best. Why should people continue to do business with a company that does everything it can to fool and trick it's customers?

Statements like this come off as shady at best. Why should people continue to do business with a company that does everything it can to fool and trick it's customers?
cause for some reason we have let them essentially become a monopoly?

I have yet to see a corporate environment running on windows 10. There is a problem with that.
the largest customers I have seen here, hospitals, government are happy if they are mostly onto Windows 7, still see XP around.

For the people posting as if MS is the same company from the early 2000s that's a monoplane, u do realize that Apple & Google are far bigger than MS? Android is the most popular OS in the world, far surpassing windows and it hasn't even reached all ppl in the world. The big bad monoplane are now Apple & Google, not MS who is trying to catch up & offering Win 10 for free so they don't become obsolete.

I have yet to see a corporate environment running on windows 10. There is a problem with that.

We have actually started to implement 10 into some corporate environments to take advantage of the free upgrade. Of course we started with a lot of testing in order to make certain that the software our clients are using would be compatible by installing test machines and installing the software they use on said machine/s. So far we have had success and surprisingly our users are happy with the change. Personally, I have upgraded every machine that I have and am very much enjoying 10.

It certainly is the first time that Gates and his organization moved toward a Monopoly .... just go back and look at what he did to Apple when he found out they were developing "Mac Basic". He is ruthless and plays to win at any cost. The real issue will come a year or so down the line when he demands we pay premium prices for future upgrades. Hopefully by that time we might have another strong operating system out here .... but don't hold your breath. With the war chest of cash in reserve they have, they'll snap up any challengers .....

I wonder if they take in to count all the people who got upgraded to W10 accidentally then rolled back to 7. That likely accounts for a large number of their "numbers" considering they consider the XB1 a Windows 10 device now. Fortunately no one has a W10 phone so that's not inflating the numbers too much, and tablets are already old news, so I'm going to have to go with the accidental W10 upgrades are artificially inflating the numbers just a little bit.

Not that I'm a supported of Windows 10 in anyway, but every time a screenshot is shown of it there's always excessive clutter going on, with over sized crap everywhere. Maybe by showing that Windows 10 can be made to look normal it might appeal to people a little more, for example with a little work it can be made to look like a real OS. But please don't take this as me telling you to get it, it's really not an improvement over 7 in anyway for me, I just wanted DX12 and my Windows 7 OS was starting to have issues, because well Microsoft of course.

DlH2EVg.jpg

It's amazing how many people asked me what OS I was running at LAN ETS, and then they couldn't believe it was Windows 10.

"Why should people continue to do business with a company that does everything it can to fool and trick it's customers?

Philisophically I agree with you...but practically speaking I don't see the follow through. Doesn't *every* company do everything it can to trick and fool customers (and everybody else too) into handing over their cash? I think of the makers of the things in my PC - Nvidia, Intel, Microsoft, Asus - haven't they all done things to trick and fool people from one time to another? Unless I start developing and making my own components and software I guess I just have to put up with "the fine print."

Does this mean I'll stop being bugged to "upgrade"?

I hope Valve comes through with SteamOS and Vulkan support so I can drop Windows and avoid DX12 altogether.

"Why should people continue to do business with a company that does everything it can to fool and trick it's customers?

Philisophically I agree with you...but practically speaking I don't see the follow through. Doesn't *every* company do everything it can to trick and fool customers (and everybody else too) into handing over their cash? I think of the makers of the things in my PC - Nvidia, Intel, Microsoft, Asus - haven't they all done things to trick and fool people from one time to another? Unless I start developing and making my own components and software I guess I just have to put up with "the fine print."
How are you being tricked and fooled? If you don't agree with their business practices, simply stop buying their products and services. While Microsoft has been very heavy-handed in it's push for adoption of Windows 10 (including "accidental"forced upgrades), overall the OS is stable and performs as it should. You just have to ignore that they are culling user data with their Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP) which is reportedly designed to “improve the products and features customers use most often and to help solve problems,” "improve performance" through their telemetrics. Translation: user tracking for future targeted advertising or, for the conspiracy theorists out there, Big Brother made easy.

Does this mean I'll stop being bugged to "upgrade"?

I hope Valve comes through with SteamOS and Vulkan support so I can drop Windows and avoid DX12 altogether.
No, but henceforth there'll be space for you to punch in your credit card no.

"It’s worth pointing out that Windows 10 devices include PCs, tablets, smartphones and the company’s Xbox One game console."

"Users have taken to Windows 10 faster than Windows 7 or Windows 8"

How can someone write these two sentences in the same article? It's like saying you sold more pears than ever but mention that you are adding in spoiled and crushed pears as well.

Microsoft is doing the same thing that Apple did with the iWatch. Burying a smaller number into a bigger one to make it look better. If microsoft was so proud of Windows 10 adoption they wouldn't need to combine platform numbers and they wouldn't need to essentially pull windows 7 user's teeth to get them to upgrade.

I wouldn't say it's shady, and they're not publishing those numbers to lure in consumers --- they're publishing those numbers they way they do to attract developers. And in this case, it really doesn't matter how the numbers really break down --- they just want developers to look at it as being able to get their app to the "total" number of Windows 10 devices, regardless of what type of device it's actually running on.

@Adhmuz, that's almost identical to the way I setup Classic Shell on my Win10.

Wow, almost the same color even. Very nice.

You can disable the "Get Windows 10" (gwx.exe) taskbar icon now, no need to wait until July 29th. See here: http://www.howtogeek.com/218856/how...ndows-10-icon-shown-in-the-notification-tray/

You can uninstall the update that brought that to Windows 7, then hide it so it doesn't come back, it's what I've done on numerous system since they pushed it months ago. 3035583 if I'm not mistaken. Only one instance did I have to do it twice to get ride of the icon, none of that other stuff they tell you to do.

No, the mantra of most companies isn't to trick and screw over their customers. The PC market is a particularly bad example as Nvidia and Intel are both dubious and microsoft hasn't been doing anyone favors. Compare that, on the other hand, to say the fountain pen market where there is none of the nonsense going on. One could easily point to the amount of competition in that market and say that it probably keeps them more honest.

I wouldn't say it's shady, and they're not publishing those numbers to lure in consumers --- they're publishing those numbers they way they do to attract developers. And in this case, it really doesn't matter how the numbers really break down --- they just want developers to look at it as being able to get their app to the "total" number of Windows 10 devices, regardless of what type of device it's actually running on.

So you're telling me that comparing one desktop operating system's adoption rates to smartphone, desktop, and console isn't shady? You think this wouldn't make a dev mad? Most app developers only work on one platform. What's going to happen when the guy making the desktop app finds out his possible clientele is only 1/3 of what he thought it was? Mobile users don't need his apps functionality, so in effect that big bloated number does nothing for him. Microsoft as a software company knows that different software is made for different platforms. Combining all these numbers together is just plain backhanded.

Hoo****INGray!
I'm sick of clicking NO!!!! on the bloody annoying popup begging me to upgrade!
I refuse to do so after IT installed it on my computer BY ITSELF!
I clicked on 'yes' for a normal upgrade. Thought it was odd that it was some upgrades for Windows 10 and when I came back from a shower it was in the middle of installing it.
I was more than pissedoff because I lost all of my favourites.
THEN I discovered it had deleted anything to do with torrents on my computer. Not just a case of deleted the installed program, but removed the programs themselves from my hard drives.

Hoo****INGray!
I'm sick of clicking NO!!!! on the bloody annoying popup begging me to upgrade!
I refuse to do so after IT installed it on my computer BY ITSELF!
I clicked on 'yes' for a normal upgrade. Thought it was odd that it was some upgrades for Windows 10 and when I came back from a shower it was in the middle of installing it.
I was more than pissedoff because I lost all of my favourites.
THEN I discovered it had deleted anything to do with torrents on my computer. Not just a case of deleted the installed program, but removed the programs themselves from my hard drives.

Really you shouldn't be complaining about this after all the post explaining how to get rid of this, and you only have YOURSELF to blame for clicking "yes" on the upgrade and not knowing what it was. Also had you done any research into the matter, clearly you have not, you would know you can roll back to Windows 7. Finally your favorites issue is a moot point at best, in this day and age you have many options to protect your browser. In Chrome it syncs with your Google account if you keep yourself logged in, for Firefox you can use FEBE my personal favorite, and even in Internet Explorer, well you just shouldn't be using it in the first place so shame on you if that's the case.

Back