Windows 10 is now more gamer-friendly thanks to latest updates

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Gaming is a huge part of Microsoft’s Windows 10 marketing strategy and I’m not just talking about the Xbox One. Updates out today for Microsoft’s latest operating system take PC gaming to a new level by enabling some much-needed features.

With the update, those playing Universal Windows Platform (UWP) games and apps now have the ability to turn off VSync and instead enable AMD’s FreeSync or Nvidia’s G-Sync.

As our very own Tim Schiesser explained last year, VSync was introduced years ago to deal with screen tearing while gaming. Unfortunately, the technique isn’t perfect as it hampers performance and caps your frame rates but with FreeSync or G-Sync, those shortcomings are dispelled.

Microsoft’s Bryan Langley said they expect Gears of War: Ultimate Edition and Forza Motorsport 6: Apex to become the first titles to take advantage of the new features in the very near future.

The update, which brings UWP games and apps in line with classic Windows (Win32) apps, will be rolled out to Windows 10 machines on a gradual basis although you can skip the queue and download it ASAP over on Microsoft’s website.

Langley said gamers can expect to see some “exciting” developments as it relates to multiple GPUs in DirectX 12 in the near future as well as an impressive array of DirectX 12 titles later this summer and into the fall.

Permalink to story.

In general if you rely on your system heavily it is a good idea to wait a week or so before installing newly released updates. This applies to any OS or software really.

While Windows 10 seems to be working well for gaming, which I am... I still am not happy with their "Start menu" and I really don't like how Microsoft tries to force their software down your throat. The whole free upgrade to Windows 10 fiasco and their spying really pisses me off.

That being said I really have no choice if I want to game... Linux distros just aren't there yet, and the big players in games don't care to make their games for Linux. And if you are on a Mac you can forget about it. I know there have been advancements for both systems but still, I can't just dump Windows and still play all the games I want. Disappointing. Microsoft's monopoly had an additional unintended consequence, not only do they pretty much own the large business enterprise sector but the gaming market as well.

I don't know why you encourage windows updates, altho most people don't know how to disable them on windows 10. The recent updates before this leave some systems unusable.

I've yet to have any Windows 10 updates leave a system unusable.

Here's a set of them, and I've heard a lot of driver issues occured.
https://www.techspot.com/community/...t-upgrade-to-windows-10-until-october.217960/
But the big one was the october 2015 updates. My computer, for instance, doesn't show anything of the start menu after those. Deja vu with windows 8? Luckily I installed it dual boot, but it also corrupted bcdedit so I could only boot windows 10 for a while because it forces updates even if you don't log on to windows 10. Don't really know how I got it back.

Here's a set of them, and I've heard a lot of driver issues occured.
https://www.techspot.com/community/...t-upgrade-to-windows-10-until-october.217960/
But the big one was the october 2015 updates. My computer, for instance, doesn't show anything of the start menu after those. Deja vu with windows 8? Luckily I installed it dual boot, but it also corrupted bcdedit so I could only boot windows 10 for a while because it forces updates even if you don't log on to windows 10. Don't really know how I got it back.
that's not really microsoft's fault there. laptop manufacturers that have custom drivers will always have problems with OS updates. it always happened even with SP updates. this is why I always try to find laptops that can install the standard drivers. it saves you a ton of time in the long run. the less headaches the better.
I've heard of the dual boot issue, but it it seems that people have solutions for this problem. I generally I agree that this is a problem that MS has to fix. corrupting the boot records should not happen.

I don't know why you encourage windows updates, altho most people don't know how to disable them on windows 10. The recent updates before this leave some systems unusable.
well it would be nice to separate vulnerability patches from feature improvements, but MS has decided to tell us even less about what each update does so I just take all the updates and live with the crappier ones which will eventually be fixed by, you guessed it, even more updates....

Microsoft has the same problem that Origin and UPlay and <insert you game launcher here> have. NONE of them even try to EXCEED that status quot of Steam. It’s not good enough to just achieve parity with Steam, if you do, congratulations, you're #2. You must meet and exceed the functionality of Steam or you will remain an “also ran.”

I am installing 10 tomorrow. Won't really be for gaming but wanna see what the hub bub is all about

Back