Windows 10 Mobile Wish List: It's time to catch up or die

Scorpus

Staff member

microsoft windows mobile windows phone smartphone windows 10 mobile wish list

The current state of Windows Phone is not good. From using the OS just a few days ago for my review of the Microsoft Lumia 640, it’s clear that Microsoft has been neglecting their smartphone platform for the better part of a year. It’s an extremely disappointing situation, both for people currently using Windows Phone, and those wanting to switch away from their current platform.

But there’s a great opportunity for Microsoft to revamp, refresh and breathe some life into their aging smartphone platform. Windows 10 is just around the corner, and although the desktop variant will be landing first, the phone team is currently hard at work developing Windows 10 Mobile.

What follows in this article is a list of changes, improvements and new features we hope Microsoft includes when Windows 10 Mobile lands sometime later this year.

Read the complete article.

I'm hoping these features make it to the Windows 10 Mobile since I really want to drop Android, I'm a bit tired of both Android and iOS platforms, besides I really like the design of the Lumia phones.

This just might be the 'Things we should do to catch up Android/iOS' document lying somewhere is MS Headquarters. Or it should be for the points it mentions.
-An oldie-goldie Lumia 720 User.

You'd rather a grid of static icons from the 1980's.. No thanks.. The tiles are better..

The first 2 points of your article are simply just false. I'm not sure what you did to make Windows Phone slower than Lollipop but I own both (Galaxy Tab S and a Lumia 930) and I can most definitely say that WP is miles faster than Lollipop. Even my friends who use android are amazed at how fast my WP is despite having a really old SoC (Snapdragon 800).

The stock camera app is also much better than any Samsung, HTC or other brand camera app (unless you use Camera FV-5 on Android, which is not stock). Have you ever heard of swiping up on the camera icon so you get more functions? Also lots of Lumia phones have a dedicated camera button, one press and you can take a picture (how is that faster than the non camera button phones on android?). Also I actually have a camera quick access button on my lock screen of the lumia 930 so I'm not sure which version of WP you were using.

Don't get me wrong, I also think there are a lot of things wrong with WP and Android and iOS are miles ahead of it, but the first 2 points are definitely not whats wrong with it. A neglected app market and the fact you can't really get a different browser (since they are all based on IE) are real problems

Yes... removing splash screen, resuming, loading is the priority.

I had something fairly long that I had typed talking about how as a long term Windows Phone user I know many of these things listed in the article are completely untrue. Then it occurred to me that the only reason I would have to correct someone so much was if they never cared in the first place.

The first 2 points of your article are simply just false. I'm not sure what you did to make Windows Phone slower than Lollipop but I own both (Galaxy Tab S and a Lumia 930) and I can most definitely say that WP is miles faster than Lollipop. Even my friends who use android are amazed at how fast my WP is despite having a really old SoC (Snapdragon 800).

Nope. And here's some evidence to prove it.

Here we have a Moto G 2014 on the left, running Android 5.0. On the right is the Lumia 830 running Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2. Both are Snapdragon 400 devices with 1 GB of RAM and 720p displays.

This image shows the two devices opening an app straight after the phones were turned on:

9Q8GXfK.gif

This image shows the two devices opening up the same app for the third time, 30 seconds later:

2M5Da9N.gif

In the first shot, the Moto G 2014 is 2-3 frames faster. In the second, the Moto G destroys the Lumia 830, displaying useful content before the 830 has even begun its animation

This is a direct, side by side comparison of two phones with similar hardware. Please keep telling me Windows Phone is faster because it is categorically not.

If MS removed the animations to save a second on loading then the OS would feel very static and 'old' to use. Loading times for me are not determined by me pressing a button, it's when the animation finishes and the screen goes dark. As far as splash screens, I do not like them either but this is not the OS's fault, an app developer does not have to have a splash screen it is optional. I have recently used Android Lollipop and the OS to look at is awful, the dated icon layout the horrendous main menu to find an app and this ridiculous 'Ok Google' thing makes you look like a complete bell-end in public.

There is plenty of room for improvement in the Windows Phone OS and I am pretty sure I will be an early adopters of WP10 when it launches. (Loyal Lumia 920 user)

Nope. And here's some evidence to prove it.

Here we have a Moto G 2014 on the left, running Android 5.0. On the right is the Lumia 830 running Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2. Both are Snapdragon 400 devices with 1 GB of RAM and 720p displays.

This image shows the two devices opening an app straight after the phones were turned on:

9Q8GXfK.gif

This image shows the two devices opening up the same app for the third time, 30 seconds later:

2M5Da9N.gif

In the first shot, the Moto G 2014 is 2-3 frames faster. In the second, the Moto G destroys the Lumia 830, displaying useful content before the 830 has even begun its animation

I would like to point out how petty of a con that is. I never once in my 4 year history with windows phone have ever had a problem cause by opening up my contacts 100ms too slow. I like the animations, they contribute to the look and feel of the OS, which I rather enjoy a lot.

I would like to point out how petty of a con that is. I never once in my 4 year history with windows phone have ever had a problem cause by opening up my contacts 100ms too slow. I like the animations, they contribute to the look and feel of the OS, which I rather enjoy a lot.

That's nice. But having information appear near instantly contributes to a piece of software feeling fast to use. Having smooth animations does not.

I would be very, very surprised if Microsoft didn't dramatically shorten the length of animations come Windows 10 Mobile. They know it's an issue and I expect them to address it

Absolutely.

That's nice. But having information appear near instantly contributes to a piece of software feeling fast to use. Having smooth animations does not.
But in real world use, a second does not make any difference, the information is the same if you get it 1 second before or 1 second after. I would rather slick looking transitions than a jumpy, stuttering mess.

the animations cover up the load screens when launching more complicated applications. I say it feels slower when you're looking at a black screen for half a second. The animation covers up that load. And, at the same time, if we are down to being bothered by times less than half a second it's really grasping at straws for cons. There are many legitimate criticisms of windows phone and the complete lack of real criticisms that I have as a long term windows phone user in your article shows that you really didn't give the OS a try at all. You looked for reasons to hate it and found some really petty reasons.

Plan and simple, this article says hardly anything about the REAL problems facing windows phone. It just goes to show the petty things people will find to confirm their opinions.

But in real world use, a second does not make any difference, the information is the same if you get it 1 second before or 1 second after. I would rather slick looking transitions than a jumpy, stuttering mess.
I disagree. 1 second is pretty much a lifetime to me, as someone who used to love PvP in MMO's and also plays DotA2. 1 second is 1 second less time looking at an animation. Do it correctly and the OS feels much snappier.

Where has the "jumpy, stuttering mess" come from? If a transition is instantaneous it's mighty hard for it to be jumpy and stuttering.

Plan and simple, this article says hardly anything about the REAL problems facing windows phone. It just goes to show the petty things people will find to confirm their opinions.

The main problems with Windows Phone are
a) Microsoft neglects the platform and releases much better applications on iOS and Android before Windows Phone. I covered this in the article and I expect better from the company that made the OS
b) Third-party companies neglect the platform, especially those that own critical platforms like Twitter, Instagram, Google anything, Periscope, Snapchat, banks, etc. Microsoft can't fix this with an OS upgrade and so I didn't cover it
c) Third-party developers create bad applications that are frequently used because of a lack of a developer ecosystem encouraging good developers to make apps for the platform. This leaves most apps feeling low in quality. This can't be fixed with a software update so I didn't bother elaborating
d) Microsoft, as basically the only Windows Phone OEM, is slow to release decent hardware, choosing to iterate the same mediocre mid-range phones over and over again. Their flagship phones are behind the pack when they launch and there is little Windows Phone competition to push them to create a better phone using their own OS. They also fail to use their strong relationship between hardware and software to their advantage, like Apple does with iOS. Again, this can't be fixed with a software update.

The reason why I didn't cover many of these issues is because this is not something Windows 10 Mobile can fix. It is a problem with the platform as a whole that requires a much deeper level of improvement and will take a huge amount of time to address.

Also, I didn't want to write an article that brings up all these problems because it's been covered to death. We all know there is a massive app problem. People talk about it all the time. I wanted to talk about what Microsoft can fix in the OS itself in a couple of months when it releases Windows 10

And please, elaborate further on what the "REAL" problems are. I'd like to hear.

I disagree. 1 second is pretty much a lifetime to me, as someone who used to love PvP in MMO's and also plays DotA2. 1 second is 1 second less time looking at an animation. Do it correctly and the OS feels much snappier.
But we are talking about a smartphone not a high octane PvP computer game running on a high end PC.

Moto G is not faster man and you know it. I own a Moto G 2014 and a Lumia 730. Day to day use the 730 is faster simply because it's more constant. On the Moto G there is no multitasking, when I open more than 1 app the other is simply suspended. The same old story Android fans are telling, the animation, that is the difference that matters to them not the constancy. On a fast Android phone like a G2 or a One plus One lowering the animation duration makes the phone feel faster but on the Moto G it just shows how slow the phone is. If I turn off the animation on the Moto G the phone feels like it's shuttering from time to time and if I keep the animation above .5x the phone feels slow. That doesn't happen with the Lumia 730, the animations are very fluid and constant. Also I don't feel like the 730 opens the apps slower, the opening speed is the same and the Moto G does get slower with time, that doesn't happen with the Lumia.

The camera app is just fine. When camera apps on Android are getting more complicated you suggest Microsoft to oversimplify theirs. That doesn't make sense. Lumia Camera is a very intuitive and an easy to learn app, Microsoft doesn't need to change anything.

WP is not a forgotten child. Non-WP users say this but they only see things superficially. Windows 10 Mobile is an important part in Microsoft's new strategy, I won't die.

A lot of your other points we know will be addressed with Windows 10 so why make them?

My only real issue with Windows Phone is lack of apps, and this is not the OS's fault nor Microsoft's, it's simply because app developers will not spend the time or money to built or maintain apps on the platform because it is not making them any money.

It's a catch 22, you need the apps to make money and the market share to grow but developers won't make the apps because the platform has such a small market share, so until this trend is halted, Windows Phone will be doomed which makes me very sad.

I have coded for all 3 mobile OS's and Microsoft's development studio (Visual Studio that is) is superior in everyway to any other IDE I have used, the C# language and .net stack are by far the best, I can write software for web, windows store, windows desktop and windows phone that share 80% of code, with a few tweaks here and there and a shiny UI on each I have the same software on all 4 platforms. You can't do that with any other desktop or mobile OS and Windows 10 / Windows Phone 10 looks to improve on this even more.

Moto G is not faster man and you know it. I own a Moto G 2014 and a Lumia 730. Day to day use the 730 is faster simply because it's more constant. On the Moto G there is no multitasking, when I open more than 1 app the other is simply suspended. The same old story Android fans are telling, the animation, that is the difference that matters to them not the constancy. On a fast Android phone like a G2 or a One plus One lowering the animation duration makes the phone feel faster but on the Moto G it just shows how slow the phone is. If I turn off the animation on the Moto G the phone feels like it's shuttering from time to time and if I keep the animation above .5x the phone feels slow. That doesn't happen with the Lumia 730, the animations are very fluid and constant. Also I don't feel like the 730 opens the apps slower, the opening speed is the same and the Moto G does get slower with time, that doesn't happen with the Lumia.

I agree that Android's consistency of use over time needs some work. I don't agree that the Lumia 730 is faster. And to be honest it doesn't even matter which is faster, because Windows Phone itself could be a better operating system if the length of animations was shortened; not made so short that the OS is laggy and has long blank screens all the time, but short enough to get a great combination of fluidity and speed.

I agree that Android's consistency of use over time needs some work. I don't agree that the Lumia 730 is faster. And to be honest it doesn't even matter which is faster, because Windows Phone itself could be a better operating system if the length of animations was shortened; not made so short that the OS is laggy and has long blank screens all the time, but short enough to get a great combination of fluidity and speed.
It is faster because it doesn't freeze or starts to lag without reason like if happen a lot of times if you actually use the Moto G as your primary phone. Also apps sometimes open faster sometimes they are slower to open, don't know why, multitasking is a pain on the Moto G etc.

Compared to a Nexus 5, One Plus One yes animations could be shorter but Moto G doesn't have anything to do with this discussion. There were a lot of similar discussions when it comes to iOS but then like now the main point is missed an that is: the phone is not slow and doesn't feel slow with those animations and that is what matters. In my experience S400 is not enough for Lollipop it needs more, at lest more ram, Android+1gb ram is a bad combination but it works for Windows at the moment.

Last edited:
Compared to a Nexus 5, One Plus One yes animations could be shorter but Moto G doesn't have anything to do with this discussion. There were a lot of similar discussion when it comes to iOS but then like now the main point is missed an that is: the phone is not slow and doesn't feel slow with those animations and that is what matters..

Okay, so taking on face value that the OS is not slow with the animations as they currently are, wouldn't you still want the length of animations shortened to make the phone feel faster?

Back