Windows 10 November update no longer available for standalone installation

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft released the first major update for Windows 10 earlier this month. Power users or those that were otherwise too impatient to wait on the update to arrive automatically via Windows Update were invited to use Microsoft’s free media creation tool to download and install the update manually.

As Ed Bott of ZDNet discovered this weekend, however, that option is no longer on the table.

Microsoft has removed the installer files for the update from its Windows 10 download page. The media creation tool is still offered although as Bott points out, it now installs the July 2015 release of Windows 10 (the one that was offered at launch).

A single sentence on the download page is the only indication that the November update is no longer offered as a standalone download.

A spokesperson for the Redmond-based company responded to the publication’s original story, verifying that the update was originally available via the media creation tool but they’ve since decided that future installs should be through Windows Update. The rep added that people can still download Windows 10 using the tool if they wish but that the November update will be delivered exclusively via Windows Update.

It’s unclear what led to Microsoft's sudden change of heart and even stranger why they opted to disrupt the current release instead of simply making subsequent releases available exclusively via Windows Update.

Either way, the change isn’t likely to affect all that many people as most will simply opt to have Windows Update do the work as the rollout progresses.

Permalink to story.

I'm glad I downloaded 1511 when I had the chance. We need to start a P2P share and say screw MS. This is simply more Windows Update BS. Why should I download an update for every machines, when I can do it once and be done with it? This is costing everyone more bandwidth than is necessary.

Glad I grabbed it while I had the chance, you can prize the USB stick out of my cold dead hands if to want it.

Why would they do that? Why not make the available ISO use all updates to that point? That's how previous windows were released, that how osx is released, and thats how every linux distro is released.

Or does microsoft want us to download every friggin update one at a time upon every installation? If so, then the lack of a SP2 for windows 7 was only the tip of the iceberg.....

The update also made possible for Windows 10 to clean install using existing windows 7/8 product keys. So because of this, we are missing this long awaited feature?...

I guess they removed the update from the .ISO to push Windows Update because a lot of people are trying to block it due to it being automatic and borderline uncontrollable.

Last edited:
Afaik dreamspark still provides 1151--thats where I got my updated copy. Although obviously not everyone can access that site/contents.

That blows I was planning on upgrading it today with the media creation tool since windows update still haven't pushed this to my machine yet....

Have they not built-in a roll out feature in to Windows 10 which allows you to update from other locally networked machines which have the update already. I'm sure I saw that somewhere.

Just found it in settings, you can't force local networked PC's only though, its local and internet or internet. Not great by MS overall.

I'm glad I downloaded 1511 when I had the chance. We need to start a P2P share and say screw MS. This is simply more Windows Update BS. Why should I download an update for every machines, when I can do it once and be done with it? This is costing everyone more bandwidth than is necessary.

Well there is the option in Windows Update to get updates from other machines on your network, so when one gets it, the others will get from the same machine.

Well there is the option in Windows Update to get updates from other machines on your network, so when one gets it, the others will get from the same machine.

If you saw my post above, that's not true. On Microsoft's website about Windows Update Delivery Optimisation its says.

When Windows downloads an update or app, it will look for other PCs on your local network that have already downloaded the update or app using Delivery Optimisation. Windows then downloads parts of the file from those PCs and parts of the file from Microsoft. Windows doesn't download the entire file from one place. Instead, the download is broken down into smaller parts. Windows uses the fastest, most reliable download source for each part of the file.
So if your limited by bandwidth it is still an issue.

That's the most *****ic thing I've heard from MS this week! (Well, it is Monday after all)
I'm still not being offered the November update, so am I supposed to get it on Piratebay now?
Microsoft and their crazy 180's!

That's the most *****ic thing I've heard from MS this week! (Well, it is Monday after all)
I'm still not being offered the November update, so am I supposed to get it on Piratebay now?
Microsoft and their crazy 180's!

It looks like I will have to go the torrent route also since MS is not giving me any other options.

The only thing I get from windows update is defender updates....

Wat a b-ch. What if I installed it on my 4 pcs,, some having 3 partitions? Glad I steered clear of windows 10, with its incredible memory hogging. (12 gig for batman).

I'm pretty sure there's a legitimate reason they did this, seems odd otherwise. I wonder if 1511 / 10586 some how also affects the ability to roll back to a previous version of Windows if its installed as an upgrade from 7 or 8? I know this is why they're delaying the rollout of 1511 / 10586 for those who installed RTM / 10240 within the last 30 days.

I'm pretty sure there's a legitimate reason they did this, seems odd otherwise. I wonder if 1511 / 10586 some how also affects the ability to roll back to a previous version of Windows if its installed as an upgrade from 7 or 8? I know this is why they're delaying the rollout of 1511 / 10586 for those who installed RTM / 10240 within the last 30 days.

You're probably right but we all like to rage against MS!

Its back! http://www.inferse.com/37405/windows-10-version-1511-tech-bench-media-creation-tool/

There was an issue, fta
“Once these customers installed the November update, a few of their settings preferences may have inadvertently not been retained. For these customers, we will restore their settings over the coming days and we apologize for the inconvenience. We worked to resolve the issue as quickly as possible – it will not impact future installs of the November update, which is available [again] today,” said Microsoft.

Back