Windows 10 now installed on more than 75 million devices around the globe

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft released Windows 10 to the public on July 29 and within 24 hours, the operating system had already been installed on 14 million devices. The Redmond-based company’s momentum has shown no signs of slowing down as Windows 10 installations have now passed the 75 million mark just shy of a month in.

Yusuf Mehdi, Microsoft's Corporate Vice President for the Windows and Devices Group, made the announcement earlier today via Twitter.

Breaking the installations down a bit further, Mehdi revealed that more than 90,000 unique PC or tablet models have upgraded to Windows 10 across 192 countries since launch. Even some devices manufactured way back in 2007 have been upgraded, he added.

On the gaming front, Mehdi shared the fact that more than 122 years of gameplay have streamed from Xbox One to Windows 10 devices while some 10 million achievements have been unlocked while playing Solitaire and Minecraft.

Cortana also seems to be popular among Windows 10 users. In response to “tell me a joke,” Microsoft said its virtual assistant has told more than half a million jokes. And in the Windows Store, apps for Windows 10 have already been downloaded six times more per device compared to Windows 8.

If you’re one of the millions that have made the jump to Windows 10, I’d highly recommend checking out our recent article on the top 10 hidden Windows 10 features. For those still on the fence, our Windows 10 vs Windows 8.1 vs Windows 7 performance guide may help in the decision-making process.

Permalink to story.

Kinda tired of Windows-8-plus-Start-menu-plus-less-user-control-plus-more-MS-oversight news. It's been almost a month since release. Keep Calm and Carry On.

And you can bet their counting every installation of every beta version, including VMs. I've posed the question on multiple forums and I'll do it here:

Is ANYONE here running Windows 10 as a primary OS on any PCs? Do you know any individuals, businesses or other organizations who are?? I certainly don't.

If only people knew how much of what they're doing on their W10 computer is getting sent to M$ and god knows who else. From your browsing history, keystrokes, contacts, Cortana searches, your data uploaded to One Live, all of which is enabled by default.

Thanks but no thanks M$.

So, I get the idea here. Keep posting an article about how many machines Windows 10 is installed on every 3 days, making it seem like there is Windows 10 hysteria going on in the world and people are camping out and fighting over boxed retail boxes like limited-edition cabbage patch kids(with their ball bats)....am I close to the scheme here?

Please, wait another 3 days, and then tell us all again how many installations of Windows 10 there are. Because, I care.

Guess how many devices Windows 7 is installed on right now? That's right....more than Windows 10. How about reporting that?

Meanwhile I returned back to 7 cause my internet lags as hell from all the information being sent to Microsoft.

And you can bet their counting every installation of every beta version, including VMs. I've posed the question on multiple forums and I'll do it here:

Is ANYONE here running Windows 10 as a primary OS on any PCs? Do you know any individuals, businesses or other organizations who are?? I certainly don't.

Let it flow through you. There were 5 million beta/insiders that all went to RTM. Even without them that's still 70 million installs in less than a month.

If only people knew how much of what they're doing on their W10 computer is getting sent to M$ and god knows who else. From your browsing history, keystrokes, contacts, Cortana searches, your data uploaded to One Live, all of which is enabled by default.

Thanks but no thanks M$.

Better call your ISP and ask them to cancel your subscription because internet is too scary for you.

Thanks but no thanks M$.

Better call your ISP and ask them to cancel your subscription because internet is too scary for you.
:)... well said...
(did on google android devices also do the same things windows 10 does? )

I'm running Windows 10 as my Primary OS on all my machines (including work machines) my company are half way through migrating to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 and we've even helped a couple of businesses nearby upgrade to Windows 10 from 7.

I also have several friends and family already running under Windows 10. I honestly don't see everyone's beef with it either, other than a few privacy concerns which can be fixed by changing some settings, I really don't get it.

I also have several friends and family already running under Windows 10. I honestly don't see everyone's beef with it either, other than a few privacy concerns which can be fixed by changing some settings, I really don't get it.
Well said

I'm running Windows 10 as my Primary OS on all my machines (including work machines) my company are half way through migrating to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 and we've even helped a couple of businesses nearby upgrade to Windows 10 from 7.

But you can't fix it no matter what you disable.

I'm running it on a desktop, a laptop and a Surface Pro 2. Other than having to research a fix for a "The start menu didn't reload, we'll try and fix it next time you reboot" error that rendered the laptop unusable until a safe mode reboot it's been ok so far. I almost miss the windows 8.1 start screen, I haven't even bothered organising the tiles in the new Start Menu.

Don't take our word for it. Read a few forums about Windows 10 (Techspot included), you wouldn't have to ask what is broken.
I've literally installed Windows 10 on like 20 PC's/laptops now and I haven't hit into anything major (except a Bluetooth driver not existing but that's not Microsoft's fault) I read forum's all the time, the only thing that seems to consistently come up are privacy concerns, which every other OS in the world breaks anyway....

I am in no rush to install W10 but it seems MS don't want us to delay the change as they are pushing it by those very annoying and intrusive pop up reminders. When I get a moment I will disable them. If anything such pushy behaviour is turning me against MS as it makes me think what other horrors will they unleash on us?

Wow! So many cry babies around. It's time most of you cry babies upgrade to Win10 already!

Always happens when a new product comes out.

Stop being paranoid. I'm sure most of you will upgrade to Win10 later anyway.

If not, you are welcome to exit the Windows world after your 7 ends it support.

Wake up!

Back