Windows 10 wont wake from sleep and failed Overclock

Hey everyone,

Not sure if this is the right section to post this, but I was wondering if anyone could help me out?

Im pretty new to PC gaming, and recently decided to splash out on a good setup, with the intention of learning and doing some moderate overclocking. I managed to build a gaming PC and nothing caught fire, so I was off to a good start!

Actually everything worked perfectly up until I recently decided to get a larger power supply unit (from an 850w to a 1200w), and have a go at Overclocking. I was as cautious as I could be, and read up on it as best I could. I went into the bios and only fiddled with the Base clock speed & the Vcore values. Using Aida 64 and CPUD to stress test and monitor temps.

Along the way I got a few "Overclocking failed" messages, so I slowly tweaked the Vcore & base clock speed until I got 4300mhz @ 1.275 Volts, with ~70 degrees temp.

I stress tested it for a few hours and it seemed great!.... But then I ran into a problem.. My computer wont wake from sleep (have to hold the button down and restart it) and I also got an "overclocking failed message" upon restart, so I just decided to restore everything back to default. Everything is back at default settings and my computer still wont wake from sleep every single time. It starts perfectly fine and runs well otherwise.

Sine then, ive tried updating the bios and now ive done a fresh install of Windows 10, but im still getting this problem. I want to fix this, and get my computer to a steady reliable overclock, but I dont know what else to do or how to fix this!? If anyone could help me itd be greatly appreciated! Cheers

Windows 10 64 bit installed on 500gb SSD
Cpu: i7 5960x
Motherboard: MSI x99a sli plus
Graphics cards: 2 EVGA Gtx 980 ti's in sli mode
Cpu cooler: Kraken X61
RAM: 32GB DDR4 at 2400mhz
Case: NZXT h440 white
Power unit: EVGA 1200 watt platinum

Looks like a nice system, so if you turn off the overclocking does the computer operate normally still?

Cheers mate, after a ton of googling, I managed to find a post suggesting that I clear the cmos, and sure enough it fixed it! Managed to run a stress test overnight dropping the power to 1.200V @4300mhz on the cpu, and everythings coming up milhouse...

Glad it wasnt something serious! Thanks for your reply

Back