Windows 10 wrap-up: free update for most, Spartan revealed, local game streaming, holograms and more

By Shawn Knight
Jan 21, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft just wrapped up its Windows 10 event in Redmond with plenty of new and exciting features on display. Chief among the big announcements is the fact that Windows 10 will be a free update to those currently running...

Read more
  2. treeski

treeski TS Evangelist Posts: 954   +193

Can't wait for official release!
    hahahanoobs likes this.
  3. EEatGDL

EEatGDL TS Maniac Posts: 475   +153

I really don't see the point in streaming from a XB1 to a PC. Generally, a console is located at a key space at home where there's enough comfort to sit and play [usually from a distance].
  4. m4a4

m4a4 TS Guru Posts: 735   +259

Looks promising
  5. Was hoping they would have announced the release date for Windows Phone 10. Been waiting a while and its getting a bit frustrating.
    drjekelmrhyde likes this.
  6. treeski

Well, if your significant other wants to watch TV, you're free to go game elsewhere. Or, if you're sitting in bed and want to play an Xbox game on your Surface, go right ahead.
    drjekelmrhyde likes this.
  7. treeski

Preview for phones is February, so you can probably try it out then. Otherwise, same release date as for everything else, I imagine.
  8. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,525   +828

how about to a cheap windows tablet? console gaming from bed or in the bathroom? muahaha.
  9. Don't wet yourself shawn
  10. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,455   +1,758

(Quote Shawn Knight)
    "Interestingly enough, Microsoft is pitching Windows 10 as more of a service than an operating system. Myerson even said that one can think of Windows as one of the largest Internet services on the planet."

Well, let's see. First they're going to tempt everyone to relinquish their beloved Windows 7, with a free copy of Windows 10. (*)

Then, they bill Windows 10 basically as, "the most important internet service in history".

Kidz, if that doesn't sound like subscription Windows coming down the pike, nothing does.:eek:

(*) The whole "free Windows 10", ploy, sounds like something ripped from, "The Last Temptation of Christ". But I suppose you would have had to have seen the movie, to access the reference
  11. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

I had no idea VR was a trend at all.
    This holoLens thing looks cool though (reminds me of the IllumiRoom). I hope someone I know gets one so I can try it out. :)
    treeski likes this.
  12. captaincranky

No VR is a trend. People think the cell phone is the reality, and the entire physical world is non existent.

Otherwise, why would you drive down the interstate talking on your phone? Well, because the other cars, bridge abutments, guard rails, etc., are just a figment of your imagination.
    Alpha Gamer and Capaill like this.
  13. Yeah, it totally implies subscription! Specially since internet services are known to have a long history of subscription fees. Look at Google, Yahoo, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, SnapChat, Vine, MySpace, YouTube, Vimeo, DailyMotion, Skype and MSN/Live Messenger, just to name a few. All subscription-based.
    Also, if Microsoft were ever to make a subscription version of Windows, they would obviously abandon single-purchase versions as well. Just look at what they did with Office, now that there are 365 subscriptions you can no longer just buy a regular copy of Office 2013.
    And I sure hope Microsoft never releases a subscription version of Windows. How dare they offer more options to their customers!
    The only thing we can both be sure of, though, is that being cynical beyond justification is very cool.
  14. Teko03

Teko03 TS Maniac Posts: 302   +104

Your XBOX ONE is typicall located in the living room. This gives it the ability go whereever you please at your home. Bedroom, backyard, bathroom while taking a dump, upstairs, basement...without the hassle of having to disconnect and move your console. Instead you just take your laptop or tablet + controller to wherever you would like to play. If you have the Intel HDMI PC stick, you could stream it to any other TV in the house even easier!!
  15. Teko03

16. Teko03

*get by
  17. captaincranky

If you want internet to be mandatory to use your, "personal computer", you're welcome to it. After all, M$ is "entitled" to a chunk of your paycheck, let's make it official.
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  18. EEatGDL

EEatGDL TS Maniac Posts: 475   +153

I highly doubt there's only that TV at home, and I doubt that is a common "first-world problem". If someone's playing in a console, usually the TV isn't available until he/she quits. And how many XB1 owners have a Windows tablet, less alone a Surface?

Have you ever tried streaming through wi-fi within LAN? I highly doubt a cheap Windows tablet will have a good wireless adapter.

I have a DIR-868L router and tried the Steam streaming with a HTPC 5 meters away with a wall in between -using 2.5 GHz n-mode- and the lag sucked; tried also Gamestream with an NVIDIA Shield using 5 GHz ac-mode and it worked well as long as there was a "line of sight" between the router and the handheld.
  19. DJMIKE25

DJMIKE25 TS Booster Posts: 150   +47

You can't give an opinion being uninformed. You can definitely still buy single licenses for office 2013. I to purchase them for clients all the time.
    Lionvibez likes this.
  20. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,936

It doesn't sound like much to get all that excited about apart from getting a free upgrade but I'll reserve my final judgement until I've taken it for a thorough spin. Being able to stream games to other devices certainly doesn't set my pulse racing, that's about the last thing I'm interested in.
  21. I'm hoping for clarification that Windows itself is NOT going to be a subscription.

If it is, then they may as well install a device on my microwave which disables it unless I swipe a credit card or enable direct deposit for a monthly fee. Then my transition to life-debt slavery will be complete.
  22. treeski

Well, some of us aren't as wealthy as others or as far ahead in life as others. Others are more minimalist and don't want to have TVs in every single room. We only have room for one TV in our apartment. Also, just because we're giving our attention to different devices doesn't mean we want to be in a different room.

I surely hope MS doesn't develop features for only the current technology landscape... obviously they are hoping for a far greater tablet adoption. Regardless, you can stream to laptops, too... which a ton of people have.
  23. Whltng

Whltng TS Rookie

Mary Jo Foley tweets "Nadella says calling #Windows10 a service does not imply change in biz model." #Phew.
  24. lripplinger

lripplinger TS Addict Posts: 251   +84

It has always been a disaster "upgrading" from one window's OS to another. How much of a mess will be created by "upgrading" from Windows 7 to 10. If anyone does, please be sure you have saved all of your data prior to attempting. I am not holding my breath on this one.
  25. drjekelmrhyde

drjekelmrhyde TS Booster Posts: 187   +43

WTF are you talking about?