Windows 10's first Redstone update on track for June release

Scorpus

Staff member

The first major update to Windows 10 as part of the Redstone cycle, codenamed RS1, is on track for release to the public in June. Early versions of this update are already in the hands of Windows Insiders, but there are still more features to come before its mid-year release.

RS1 will primarily focus on "the convergence of different Windows 10 devices such as PC, Xbox, and Phone" according to sources at WinBeta. Part of this convergence involves the launch of the Windows Store on Xbox One, allowing users to install Universal apps on their home game console, as well as the expansion of cross-platform gaming that would see more exclusive titles launch on PC alongside Xbox.

The collection of Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps that can be used across different device categories will be boosted with RS1, as apps built using Project Centennial (a tool for porting Win32 apps to UWP) and Project Islandwood (iOS to UWP) will be included in the Store for the first time.

There is also expected to be more cross-device functionality. One such feature that's already been rumored is an update to Cortana on PC that would inform you when your phone is running low on battery. Other features would allow users to make phone calls and send texts via their Windows Phone directly on their PC.

As for Microsoft Edge, there's a good chance that extension support in the browser will finally arrive in the version released as part of RS1. The feature is reportedly headed to Windows Insiders in the coming months.

A second Redstone update is also planned, although reports have emerged suggesting it has been delayed from a fourth quarter 2016 release to spring 2017. Some features that were originally supposed to be included with RS1 will now be pushed back to RS2 as well, but we'll have to wait until later to discover which features haven't made the cut.

Permalink to story.

I am part of the Windows Insider fast track on my Windows phone and my computer and my computer notifies me when I miss a call on my phone giving e the option to ignore or send a text. I can click send a text Cortana pops up off to the side and I can type a message in the box click send and it sends my text from my computer to my phone and then off to the recipient of the text message. I can also click on Cortana on my computer tell her to send a text to one of my contacts and then type my message and she will send the text. My favorite part of Windows 10 on my phone is the ability to answer text messages, Facebook comments' and messages, all without stopping what im doing!

I am part of the Windows Insider fast track on my Windows phone and my computer and my computer notifies me when I miss a call on my phone giving e the option to ignore or send a text. I can click send a text Cortana pops up off to the side and I can type a message in the box click send and it sends my text from my computer to my phone and then off to the recipient of the text message. I can also click on Cortana on my computer tell her to send a text to one of my contacts and then type my message and she will send the text. My favorite part of Windows 10 on my phone is the ability to answer text messages, Facebook comments' and messages, all without stopping what im doing!

I can do all that on Windows 7 and a Blackberry. Its called using the same accounts and free programs on all your devices. And really, could you BE more of a hired poster? You even called Cortana "her". Or maybe you're just that messed up.

Who the hell needs more convergence ? I pay for a functional OS for my PC, don't care about Xbox and Win Phone. And what I get with Windows 10 is anything but...

Probably the worst OS since Windows 95, Vista included.

Oh, good, more stupid features on Win 10 I will never use! Just use more system resources that will take away my great gaming experience!

After installing Win 10, had to turn off a plethora of features. Hopefully these too can be turned off!

Just use more system resources that will take away my great gaming experience!

After installing Win 10, had to turn off a plethora of features. Hopefully these too can be turned off!

You are spot on. But why would anyone be surprised at this from MS? This is what they do and who thy are.

Windows 10 RedStone Update hmm a minecraft thing, shame some features wont make it in RS1 update till the RS2 come 2017 so long to have to wait till spring of 2017 for the RS2 update, looking forward to the coming RS1 update, curious to see the differences of how win 10 RS1 will be on both my laptop, and tablet

As soon as I can play games on any other OS I'll change to it. Hope someone makes a windows emulator (that works and has multiplayer) so I can play older games too. The ability to play 1% of PC games on linux isn't good enough.

When will microsoft run out of money? They keep making bad products nobody seem to want but somehow they still end up making money. Apple I understand, I know loads of people who only buy apple products cause they like being douches and paying more for less, but I have never seen anybody who buys only microsoft products. Couple of friends bought xbones but even one of those sold the xbone and got a ps4.

Or they could make new OS (or strip some features of current) that is made firstly to operate systems, not to sell you stuff. No point in having adblock if the whole OS is an ad.

I like Windows 10. Microsoft is showing leadership and going in a good direction. However that doesn't mean that Windows 10 is perfect for every situation. Most of my computers are linux (which I am using now to type this).

@alabama man: Right on.

Or they could make new OS (or strip some features of current) that is made firstly to operate systems, not to sell you stuff. No point in having adblock if the whole OS is an ad.

I'm of the opinion that I should never see ads in a product I've paid for. Hell, with the price of stupid Windows being equal to that of a light gaming PC, it should never shove ads down our throats. I mean, wasn't that the whole point of ads, to help developers pay for projects that they didn't/couldn't monetize directly ? Now we have to suffer both ?

Can't wait for a real OS to gain some traction so I can ditch this POS. Here's to Vulkan's success !

So I installed Linux Debian and it kinda blows since I don't know how to use it - and the keyboard isn't recognized. But with the way MS is going, I'm going to learn to use linux ;)
Maybe I should try a different disro.

The OS wasn't working too badly, for awhile, now it takes several dumps daily (memory dmp). I could care less if it was behind the scenes, but it has affected things to the point I did a clean install which left me where I was before.
Hope this fixes mine. No doubt there are people out there with the reverse situation of mine (used to work poorly, but works well now) we will see what this brings

So I installed Linux Debian and it kinda blows since I don't know how to use it - and the keyboard isn't recognized. But with the way MS is going, I'm going to learn to use linux ;)
Maybe I should try a different disro.

Linux Mint is easier to use for people moving from WIndows. The upcoming Windows 10 features like the ability to read and answer text messages has been around for years. I have an Android phone and use Gmail so I installed the MightyText app in Chrome browser and it allows me to read and answer text messages from the Gmail screen and also monitors my phone's battery. Since it uses the Chrome browser this will work on any computer not just ones running Windows 10.

They are constantly adding more junk they think we want. As a Win 10 user I will probably switch to 7 before this update rolls out since I'm growing tired of this **** and their automatic updates that reset my privacy settings, it is hurting my slow internet connection :( .

Oh, good, more stupid features on Win 10 I will never use! Just use more system resources that will take away my great gaming experience!

Agree, I have not upgraded my gaming PC with Win10 and probably won't now that I'm very familiar with it. I don't care to spend hours killing all the crap I don't care about in Windows 10. I use my main PC as a PC and nothing more, I don't need all this bloat!

Cortana..the useful tool for spying on you. Oh wait, I have completely disabled all this **** with Spybot Anti-Beacon.

Yep, so far every version of windows has included a lot of 'features' I never used, why would this one be different. More options are always better than fewer options I suppose and I am sure some people use a lot of features in 7 that I disable like media player, internet explorer, windows games, start screen, sounds and lots more.
Its always been the first thing I do when installing any OS is customizing it for myself.

That's definitely good news. The start of the Redstone (RS) updates are definite indication that Microsoft Windows 10 client OS has matured to the stability level needed to implement the core value of it as the new productivity computing platform, that is its Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps that run on whatever Windows device with a single programming code. That is the new standard for developing Windows software application programs, from Win32 desktop programs to universal/cross-platform UWP apps.

Unless you've been stranded on a tropical island these past few days, you must have already heard that everyone bashes Windows Store and its gaming distribution model as well as UWP. Microsoft's agenda is a clear "we control everything in OUR OS" this time around.

So how is that "good news" ?

Last edited:
I won't be using any of these features, so this update will be of a complete waste of storage in my system. Microsoft should be making this upgrade optional.... Or aimed at users that will benefit from it.

Furthermore, they should be introducing, security and performance enhancements and not features that won't be used by most people. They should be asking the end users, what they want and not just offer something that won't be used by many.

Back