TechSpot

windows 2000 administrator access problem

By crazychen
Mar 13, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hi
    i run windows 2000 pro sp4
    i always log in as administrator and everything worked fine until last nite when i turned on my comp

now my desktop is frozen, i can still run programs such as ms word from the start menu, but the adminstrative programs has all been restricted to me, for instance when i try to run system manager the msg: "Access to specified device, path, or file is denied." comes up, and all the system programs would only run if i use thr run command, other wise the msg "unable to run this program" come up

i've done a anti virus scan and nothing came up, and i also ran the new blaster worm remover from the ms site

does any1 know how i can solve this problem?
  2. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,802

:wave: Hello & Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

Never had that problem before, but I may have a solution.

Go into the controlpanel, and choose the users & password dialog.
    Create a new user with full Admin rights.

Log out, and log in with the new user identity. Now you should have full access to the administrator tools.

Hope this helps :)
  3. crazychen

crazychen Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

cannot do that, thats restricted to me too
  4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 8,165

No offense meant, but why do you think they created the Administrator on W2K?
    Definitely not for anybody to use as their everyday Login, even if they are the only user.

If you have TweakUI installed, under the Tab IE, check that Allow Logoff is checked. Then logoff and try as another ID
  5. Wind777

Wind777 Newcomer, in training Posts: 17

what is Tweak UI?

Hi,

What is the program Tweak UI and where can you find the program?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.