Windows 2000 install

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am installing windows pro 2000 on a blank harddrive. I start the computer with the disk in, and it goes straight to setup, and after checking hardware configuration and such it goes to the first option screen. I choose to install windows. Setup asks me to partition part of the harddrive, which I do, and after formatting and partitioning it copies some files and such. This all seems normal to me, after this it gives me the whole "eject any floppy disks and your computer will restart."

Now at this point things get fuzzy.

1) If I remove the cd, and change nothing, when the computer reboots and goes to a blank black screen.

2) If I change the BIOS and tell the computer to load from HDD-0 then the same thing happens as in 1

3) If I leave the cd in and load from the windows 2000 pc, it goes right back to the original setup screen from nefore, only now, when the partition option comes up, there are partitions available, but the pc will not allow me to install windows on the partition that was made.

Am I doing something wrong here? Am I missing something?

any help would be appreciated, thanks.

You don't want to boot off the CD after the first reboot. But as to why it doesn't continue the setup (booting from the hd) I'm not sure.

The setup is supposed to go like this:
Boot from CD, partition, copy files, reboot.
Boot from HD, installation resumes, still needing access to the cd.
Boot from HD into Windows.

I would try to do the setup with no additional PCI cards installed, only graphics card, cd, hd. Not sure what else to tell you right now, other than be sure your jumpers are correct if you are using IDE drives.

do I need to change the BIOS boot order in between the 1st and 2nd step or should i leave it as follows
1st boot: cd drive
2nd boot: HDD-0

this is what it was set at during the 1st step (setup from cd)

or will the BIOS change automatically once installation is complete? assuming of course that I can ever get it installed.

I can't remember whether 2000 requires you to push a key to actually boot off cd or not. If it does, then you don't need to change anything, just don't hit a key when it says. An alternative is to remove the cd on reboot and then put it back in once the installation starts back up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back