Windows 2000 Pro Boot Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have got 2 machines. 1 pentium 3 and 1 pentium 1. the pentium 3 didnt have a hd so i took the one off the pentium 1 and put it in the machine. this hd has windows 2000 pro installed. the problem is whenever i start up now it starts up ok until half way through the boot up i get a blue screen saying 'unaccessable boot device'.

How can i fix this problem ?

- greg

reformat and reinstall. Win 2000 is very picky about hardware. and doesnt usually like being transplanted onto a diff mobo.

Unaccessible boot device usually means the drive has been moved in IDE/SCSI chain - for example, the OS was installed when the drive was secondary master, but in the new machine the drive is primary master. Now the OS doesn't find its files (I wonder why it can't search for them... :rolleyes: ) and bombs out.

Another thing that could cause this - but I'm not 100% sure - is different IDE chipset for which there's no driver installed. Does it work in safe mode?

I agree with ISS. Last week I installed an Adaptec ATA controller so I could mirror the two drives in the machine. I got the same message because W2K didn't recognize the controller properly without installing a driver during the install. Backup, backup, backup and reload, reload and reload.
M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back