Windows 2000 problems - IE , AOL , add/remove programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
My add/remove programs stopped working a month ago and I tried every fix I could find to get it back. (when I clicked on it nothing happened)
Nothing I found fixed that problem so:

I did a full OS re-install:

formatted the partition
re-installed w2k
re-installed the intel chipset inf,activex 8.1,active monitor, ucb2.0,shockwave,application accelerator.
drivers for audio, modem, graphics.
Upgraded to win2k sp4
Installed MS office.

Everything seems to run ok including add/remove programs.

I then installed "AOL 9.0 security edition" and am able to access internet. However, when using IE6 "provided by aol", I got errors. IE crashes.
I did a AOL keyword "browser fix". Got a message something about tunneling is being started.

Now the IE is not crashing, but the "address bar" does not display the correct (entire) url. examples:
1. If I do a google search and click on a link, the address still says google.com.
2. If I go to ebay and go to the sign in page the address says ebay.com, not
"...signin.ebay.com/ws/eBayI..."

Also, my add/remove programs stopped working. When I click on it I get the message "Mshta.exe has generated errrors and will be shut down."
I hope I can fix that by running:
sfc /purgecache
sfc /scannow.

Sorry for the long story, but I suspect the AOL installation is causing some problems. I want to know if anyone else has experienced this.

Also how can I get the url to appear correctly in my IE address bar?

(I could call aol tech support and get my "free" Mr. Wizard teaches computers CD)

Thanks,
Bill.

anything AOL related I would avoid
since you just did a fresh install ,would not be to grievous
to start all over again and stay away from aol
AsI call it america off line
look to zone alarm /sysgate/outpost/adaware/acronis/ even MS spyshield is better

I've used AOL for 12 years. I have tried to switch but my wife likes it. It never kicks her off line. Until this.

I found my problem. Had a trojan (netddesrv.exe) that started sending and receiving everytime I got online. Could not stop the process.

Turned it off with hijack-this, but it kept coming back. Spybot did not find it. Finally bought Norton. Was able to block it from sending until I downloaded Norton updates. The Norton update killed it!

I don't know how I could have got this trojan after doing the fresh install. Maybe during the hour long download to get IE6 update. During this time I kept getting pop up messages (from windows messenger service) that my system needs repair - go to "downloadpatch.com" to fix.

One good thing came of this, I got my wife to try another ISP (sbcglobal.net). I need to get her email changed over. Right now she has to go to webmail.aol to get it. That is slow.

Will have to try another browser now.
Thanks
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back