TechSpot

Windows 2k doesn't boot

By Vinodkumar
May 8, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi

I am using a dual boot system with Windows XP Pro on one HDD and Windows 2000 Pro on another. Everything was going fine until recently when Windows 2k refused to boot up. When I try to boot Win 2k it restarts before the log-in screen appears and repeats the process in an unending loop.

I tried to boot to safe mode and last known good configuration, but both resulted in the same loop-rebooting.

The HDD Win 2k is on is accessible from XP, however. But I have certain programmes installed on Win2k and works done with them, so I want to avoid the pain of installing all those programmes on XP too.

Regards.

Vinod
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

I suggest you try a Windows repair on your Windows2000 hdd as per the instructions in this thread HERE.

Regards Howard :)
  3. Vinodkumar

Vinodkumar TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 27

I had already run a repair process by inserting the W2k CD and choosing the repair option at Setup. First I chose fast repair, but it was not successful. At the second attempt I was asked to insert an emergency repair disk and I did so. In the process it showed a message saying that it could not copy the file speech.dll. I was given two options: one to retry and the other to skip copying the file. The first proved unsuccessful so I chose to skip. The following were the other files I had to skip thus: spchtel.dll, vcmd.exe, vcauto.tlb, vtext.tlb, vcmshl.dll, speech.hlp, speech.cnt, Xlisten.dll, Xvoice.dll, Xcommand.dll, Vdict.dll, Vtext.dll, Xtel.dll, WrapSAPI.dll, mstask.ini.

After completing the repair thus the system restarted. But things were the same as they had been before the repair except that it also killed my XP installation. However, I booted from the XP CD and repaired XP,but 2k remains in the same condition.

Vinod
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.