Windows 2K - NTLDR file missing - cannot boot from floppy or cd or dvd drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really sorry if this seems like a stupid question but I really don't know what to do.

I installed windows 2000 on my computer last night and it was working fine... Shut it down. Started it up this morning and got the message "NTLDR file is missing. Hit CTRL ALT DEL to restart"

so i did the done thing and inserted in the windows 2000 setup disk as i'm supposed to. My cd-rom wouldn't boot up at the start and i went straight to the same "NTLDR file is missing. Hit CTRL ALT DEL to restart" message.

I then tried using the boot up disks (set of 4) in my floppy drive. That didn't work eas the floppy drive doesn't boot up at start either.

I am now absolutely stuck as to what to do. My computer starts up. I get my Intel Pentium 4 blue screen with the logo and then immediately black with the message "NTLDR file is missing. Hit CTRL ALT DEL to restart".

can anyone please please PLEASEEEE help me?????

thanks!!!
n' merry christmas!

To boot from your CD you have to change the bootup-sequence in your BIOS.
Set it to boot from 1)floppy, 2)CD, 3)HD
That way if there is a floppy in it at boot-time, it will start from (bootable only) floppy.
If no floppy and a bootable CD is in, it will start from CD.
If no floppy AND no CD, it will boot from HD.

how do i change the BIOS?

hi,
thanx for the reply.
because i dont even get the option of the setup menu or anything, how do i get to the BIOS?

thanx again

actually
i figured out how to get to the BIOS.
trying the boot disks now

thank you!!!!! ~merry christmas~ :D

I too have this problem

I have gone into the bios and changed it to read from the cd rom and its still not reading from the cd. i have looked around the web and found information about booting ur machine with a usb flash drive i have tried cd's floppys and flash drives and nothing has worked i am still getting the ntldr fault. i have taken the hdd out and tried to reformat from another pc as a external drive but it does not get registered any help will be gratefully accepted

D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back