Windows 32bit XP and 4 gigs ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluemouse

Hi all,

I have windows XP 32bit, and I was wondering if I can get it to detect more than the 2.75 that it does now? I have 4x 1GB sticks in, but it doesn't see them all. I don't want to install a 64bit os because that would mean reinstalling most pieces of software/finding the right drivers. Is there any way I can do it through a tweak or something?

Thanks!

Windows Xp 32 Bit maximum Ram allowed = 3Gig
Also it is unlikely that your machine will use 3Gig (or above) anyway

Depends......

The amount of RAM shown is 4GB (absolute potential) MINUS the hardware (reserved addresses). Different machines as well as different motherboard and BIOS yield different amounts of available RAM.

You don't need more than 2GBs of RAM to run XP. XP won't allow more than 2 GB to any program, without modifying the OS via "the 3 gigabyte switch. It won't run much (if any) faster with 3GB of RAM. The big improvement ALREADY happened going from 512MB to 1GB. Honest, check around. Having a bunch of "available RAM" seems to be a measure of status nowadays. But, at the end of the day "available RAM" is just sitting there idling, and doing nothing but running up the electric bill.

Except especially when playing games nowadays, you go past that 2GB mark sometimes (more so when you have apps running in the background at the same time). The question isn't whether or not I should have more than 2, its that I do have more than 2 and I want to use it.

Life Sucks... Then You're Stuck With a 32 Bit OS

Dear Mr. Mouse, Welcome to the ranks of computer "enthusiasts" who collectively believe that if they ask the same question over and over they will get the answer they want to hear. In the psychiatric profession, many practitioners consider undertaking the same behaviour with expectations of a different outcome insanity. I on the other hand, find it commendable. Notice I didn't say tolerable.
Your question has been asked and answered. In spite of that, try these:

1. Google "3 Gigabyte Switch".
2. Shut down some of the background apps. (Where did you get the idea you can run as many things simultaneously as you please on one machine anyway)?
3. Buy another computer to run those apps while you play games on box 1.
4. Buy another hard drive, a 64 bit OS, and dual boot it. That way if you have trouble with the 64 bit OS, for any reason, just reboot into the 32.

The only caution here is that the motherboard must be 64 bit capable. Because if it isn't, you can put all the RAM and 64 bit OSes into it you like it still won't recognize the extra memory.

Does that answer your question?

1) I believe that's what I was looking for without all the sarcasm. The answer kind of gets lost in all the other.....stuff.
2) No kidding. It would be nice not to have to close everything to play some games though, which is why more ram is useful in the first place and hence my question. Running a couple of apps without paging is not the same as "running as many apps as you like".
3) So helpful there.
4) Same as above. The point was to not have to install a 64 bit os in the first place since I'd have to find all new drivers and programs, some of which the installs were lost after a hdd crash.

Bluemouse, it seems you are looking for an answer that you are already very knowledgeable of. However the answer to the question of seeing more then 3 gb of rams by tweaking is NO.

Yep, thanks. Actually, originally I was looking for getting it up to 4GB, but then when I realized I couldn't I just wanted to get it up to 3 from what I have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back