Windows 7 64-bit frequent BSOD

123mags456

Hello!

Hoping for some help with my BSOD issues. Recently upgraded to windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, 2 days ago in fact and am getting frequent BSOD's. Nothing in particular seem to be causing it, several have been while the PC has been left on literally doing nothing.

I did look at the minidump files and done some googling to see if I could find the issues and thought I'd got lucky when I saw another thread with a very similar problem with the same drivers causing the errors - apparently it was the RAID driver, however I've updated that and still having no luck.

Here is my computer spec
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 4800
RAM: Corsair Dominator 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 XMS2 PC2-8500C5 TwinX
Motherboard: Asus P5Q-E
Hard drives: Western Digital Caviar black SATA2 640GB (x2 in SATA RAID 0)

I've zipped and attached all the minidump files too.

Thanks!

Attachments

• minidumps.zip
    133.2 KB · Views: 1
5 files and 4 different error codes with two specifically citing hardware as the issue but which hardware it doesn't say. One cited the Nvidia driver nvlddmkm.sys as the cause of your crashes. So updating your video card drivers would be a good idea.

Also, because of so many differing errors this can be a sign of possible corrupted memory. For diagnostic sake run memtest on your memory.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

*** If Memtest shows no errors then find the voltage specs of your RAM and compare it to the voltage setting in your BIOS. Do they match?

Thanks for the follow up
Also have this topic open on another forum and was told to run in safe mode for a while and see if its stable, which it was for 6 hours plus - usually running normally it will BSOD within a few hours even if left alone. Would this point to a driver at fault do you think?

As for the Nvidia card, this is a fresh install of windows 7 performed about 2 days ago so the driver is up do date, however for peace of mind i'll uninstall, run driver sweeper and reinstall. I'll also run memtest over night before sleeping on one stick, and i'll do another tomorrow night.

If you have any suggestions for me to look into please tell, thanks for the help.

Had another BSOD when I attempted to press the save button for driver sweeper, I've also had more BSOD's today so I've attached todays minidumps again.

Edit again: Since had 3 bsod's in about 10 minutes, all when messing about wit the nvidia driver! Figured I'd uninstall it, run on a windows VGA driver and see if I still BSOD, however windows keeps automatically installing a driver when I restart - very annoying!

Attachments

• minidumps2.zip
    181.4 KB · Views: 1
1. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

2. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper but ONLY for the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay.

3. Reboot and install new video card drivers; not from the CD that came buyndled with the card..

* Also, I suggest you run a harddrive diagnostics. Go to your HD manufature's website, download their free harddrive diagnostic utility, burn it to a CD and do all the tests.

*** Get back to us with the results.

Hey! I took it one step further, done the driver sweeper in safe mode etc but i also swapped video cards with another rig, now running an ATI X1950 PRO Radeon card. driver sweeper detects NO nvidia drivers so we'll see where that leaves us.

And good idea about the hard drives, i'll give that a go!

The reason I mention the harddrive utility is because twice the error code 0x24 came up and we want to at least diagnose it to rule out any possibility of a defective drive.

0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software.

Well i've tried. The Western digital diagnostics utility doesn't seem to work with a raid array and the western digital acronis true image won't start until i plug in a western digital hard drive apparently!

Couldn't edit again.
Can now rule out NVidia drivers, had another BSOD. Mini dump attached
*sigh* THREE BSOD's trying to make this post!

Edit: Checked voltage of ram etc in bios and it was all set to "Auto" so I set the voltage to 2.10 and the MHZ to DDR2-1066.
I'm now running memtest86 (on a different pc atm) and it says
Settings: RAM 534MHz (DDR1068) / CAS : 5-5-5-18 / single channel
Is that right? Should it not be 1066 mhz? Also the timing on the module says 5-5-5-15, not 18?

Finally, on the bios when I previously edited the ram voltage and mhz I was also going to edit the timing, but there are three listed? Which one do I change?!

Thanks.

Attachments

• withoutnvidia.zip
    25.8 KB · Views: 0
Back