Windows 7 64bit won't boot with new Nvidia 7300GS

(This is a re-post with a more descriptive title)
Here goes,

I just recently upgraded my computer with Windows 7 64bit. It took awhile but I got it up and running. With the on-board GC when I boot up, I get a white screen or the Welcome screen has random white lines all through it. Once I log into Windows the screen is clear. BUT it flashes randomly (ie screen goes black for a sec and then comes back). Some Google searching told me that this is a problem with Windows 7 64bit and the onboard graphics of my Asus MB.

So I decided to upgrade to a new graphics card and gain back some Memory and CPU. I am not a gamer but do run some graphics type programs like music editing software (Magix) and photo editing. I found a nVidia Geforce 7600 GS with 512MB.

Here's the problem, when I try and boot up using the new card the system crashes (blue screen). It reports a timeout error in nvlddmkm.sys. When I boot up in Safemode or use the Last known Good Config. it says that my card in not installed. and I get just the basic video drivers but does not "see" and video cards. The bios knows the card is there and sets the PCI-E slot as the primary boot device. I have the latest drivers for the card installed and Windows is up-to-date as well. After several days of fiddling, I gave up and plugged back into the onboard graphics card. Now when I go into device manager it shows me both cards! Says both are running fine. What gives and how can I fix it. The flashing is really annoying and I want it to stop. BTW, After I installed my VC I lost my audio too. Grrrrr Any and all help will be greatly appreciated as I am at my wits end!
Edit/Delete Message

Did you diasble your onboard video in your BIOS prior to installing your new VC?

Do not set the PCI-e as the primary boot device. Set your harddrive first and then other drives.

Uninstall your card from your system, then unistall all 7600GS drivers/software. Using your onboard video do the following:

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions; make sure the version will work with your OS) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card (not onboard) but don't install them.

3. Reboot into Safe Mode and run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper but ONLY for the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers -we're talking for the 76000 - that is quite okay; just leave all other drivers alone.

4. Shut the system down again and physically reinstall your 7600GS but don't use the driver package that came on the CD.

4. Reboot and go to your BIOS. Disable onboard video, exit out of BIOS, and when the Desktop screen comes up install new video card drivers. Windows will most likely try to install its own drivers. Don't allow that to happen.

Thanks Route44, but when I got the the reboot portion, I disabled the on-board video and, just like before, it crashed before the desktop screen. So I decided to re-install Win 7 64bit while plugged into the new card and with the on-board disabled. Setup went all the way to the final restart of Windows and crashed on the same file.... Grrr!

I then decided to re-install win7 but the 32bit version instead and, bingo, no conflicts, no nothing. Everything works as it should. It appers that all my conflicts are with the 64bit version of Windows so I am going to have to live with a 32bit OS for now (which sucks cause I was going to install a bunch more memory - the MB can go to 8Gb). That is unless you or anyone else can think of something else...:grinthumb

Give us your full hardware specs including your make and wattage of your power supply.

If you can, link us to your motherboard and RAM as well.

Back