Windows 7 and Vista can't recognize my 1TB HDD only shows 465GB why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edito

hi ppl hope everthings good there, i have a seagate barracuda 7.200 with 1500GB and my windows 7 and vista only shows 465GB how can i access all the disk size???

Thanks...

Have you formatted it properly? Is there any unpartitioned space on the drive?

Go to Start->Run and type compmgmt.msc and hit Enter. Click the Disk Management option in the left pane of the window that appears and check the drive to see if there is unallocated space.

Yes i formatter properly, checked in compo manage and it only shows 465GB... i tryed in windows 7 ( my default OS), tryed in vista and XP and nothing...

Lets look at this objectively.

Thread Title: Windows 7 and vista can't recognize my 1TB HDD only shows 465GB
First Line: hi ppl hope everthings good there, i have a seagate barracuda 7.200 with 1500GB
Problem: 465GB showing up.

There are 3 different sizes here, you've reported 2 different ones, and 2 Operating Systems reported another size. Do you know what size your drive is?

Sounds to me like you don't. If Disk Management in 2 operating systems thinks it is 465GB (about right for a 500GB drive) I bet it is a 500GB drive and not a 1TB or 1.5TB drive like you think.

Now maybe you could have 2 of 3 platters die, but I suspect that the drive wouldn't function inside Windows if that had happened. I also think Seagate uses 4 375GB platters rather than 3 500GB platters, so if that is the case, it wouldn't be possible to end up with 500GB.

Samsung does have a 3 platter @ 500GB each..

The only other possibility I can think of is a software limitation (unlikely to occur in Both OSes without you knowing, and impossible with a virgin install of the OS), or a hardware limitation of 500GB which is probably only possible in an older external enclosure (although I've heard many times of people running larger drives than the advertised capacity of the enclosure).

i can only think in a software limitation cause in the Hard Drive is typed Barracuda 7200.11 and under that u can see the 1500GBytes i can post photos of the HDD...

ST311500341AS this is the model i didn't have time yesterday to make logical partitions in the hard drive to see the outcome but ill do it 2 day when i get home cause im in office now...

thanks...

1. Try the firmware update for the drive, many people have complained of data corruption without it.

2. What does the BIOS report the drive as?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back