Windows 7 boot error

Hello
A couple of months ago I was trying to install linux on my netbook, and I dont know how something screwed up and I ended with an error saying that a file named winload.exe is missing. I created a repair usb and plugged it in, and startup repair wasnt able to fix anything so I accessed CMD and formatted drive C: and another error took place saying that a file named \boot\bcd is missing . I tried all cmd command to fix it and nothing works. I tried running a built in windows 7 setup from windows repair they told me they needed a drive containing windows 7 I created a bootable usb but it didnt work . I am hopeless so if u have any idea ill be so thankful.

Last edited:
Bummer.

What I did learn is that I need to ask for more and better detail - can you correct me where I have it wrong?
- Windows 7 Home 32 bit on a netbook
- tried to install Linux but it started to install but it messed up and Linux is not installed and Windows 7 no longer works
- made repair USB and tried to run it, but the notebook couldn't run it and fix the broken Windows 7
- used command prompt (what did you boot from which allowed this?) and formatted C: which wiped the drive
- tried command prompt but it didn't work (no boot? booted from what?)

"I tried running a built in windows 7 setup from windows repair they told me they needed a drive containing windows 7 I created a bootable usb but it didnt work ." - uncertain I really able to translate - I thought it meant that you were not able to boot from USB, but want to be sure

"Yeah I did that and whenever I wanna boot from the bootable usb they ask to press any button to boot from usb so I do so and then it freezes"

So you can reach BIOS and you have checked your manual to confirm that you have taken all the steps needed to set up USB as a boot device?

-windows 7 starter on 32 bit netbook
-made repair usb and ran it but startup repair didnt fix any problem
-the repair usb provides many features including command prompt so I accessed it and formatted drive c:
-tried many commands to fix BCD but none worked
I think this correction answers all your questions

Windows 7 starter is a much reduced version of Win7 - you probably cannot use regular Win7 - you need to use Windows 7 starter (which you may be able to download as an ISO https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7 & https://lifehacker.com/microsoft-now-lets-you-download-windows-7-isos-with-a-v-1688039211 )

Your repair USB needs to be for the 'starter' version.

Your best bet for more detail is from the manufacturer of your notebook. They may tell you if there are other OSs you can use to run your netbook. They may have what you need on their support section of their website. Grab manual, too.

(I run mine on Chromium - https://www.chromium.org/ - because just about everything except Puppy Linux is too big)

If you have this all worked out and are still having an issue, let us know. Specifics about your notebook (maker, model, version, CPU, RAM, storage) would help.

Back