Windows 7 enters 'extended support' phase today, here's what you need to know

Shawn Knight

Staff member

windows microsoft windows 7 support mainstream support

Microsoft’s venerable Windows 7 operating system has crossed yet another threshold (no pun intended) on its way to eventual irrelevance. As of today, January 13, 2015, the operating system has exited what Microsoft calls mainstream support.

But, what exactly does that mean and is there reason for concern?

By entering the extended support phase, Windows 7 will no longer receive any new features or product tweaks. What’s more, users won’t be able to call Microsoft for free tech support regarding issues with the OS.

The good news, however, is that Windows 7 users will still be able to receive critical security updates for the foreseeable future. The extended support phase runs from now through January 14, 2020, so there’s no need to fret about upgrading just yet if you are content with Windows 7.

Windows 7 arrived in late 2009 and continues to be a leader in terms of Windows market share to this very day. Microsoft sold more than 100 million licenses within just six months of its release, making it the fastest-selling Windows OS to date.

It was followed by Windows 8 three years later but given its radical new UI, many users have elected to stick with what they know in Windows 7 as it’s generally considered to be more stable than its predecessor, Windows Vista.

With Windows 10 expected later this year, however, we might finally see more users say goodbye to their beloved Windows 7.

Permalink to story.

I recently installed the Windows 10 Tech Preview on a new SSD and have been using it pretty regularly (I have dual-boot for Windows 7 as well). I'm pretty satisfied with it. I hated 8, but 10 brings back the Start menu while including a bit of the customizability that the Metro interface offers. It's also noticeably faster than my 7 installation, though that may be partly because I haven't installed as many programs with DRM and auto-update bloatware (I'm looking at you, Adobe). I'm looking forward to the voice-activated search features -- Windows 7 already has pretty passable voice-activated controls, and the built-in tutorial & setup is worth exploring, but MS never really gave this feature the attention it deserves. Hopefully Cortana will change that.

Yeah who calls Microsoft for support on Windows? Good way to waste an hour and get nothing out of it but a headache. Personally prefer 8.1 but I run 7 on my secondary/media tower, mainly because I have like 10 windows 7 keys. Both OS's can pretty much do the same thing with small differences in capabilities between the two, which really makes it so there's not a huge incentive to move to 8.1. Windows 8/8.1 lacked some key UI customizations that would have made the OS more inviting to a lot more users, but this is something that Windows 10 seems to have fixed so I see it being a popular OS. I bet windows 7 will have its healthy share I sitters who do what they did with windows XP and use it for 15 years and be bitching in 2020 when they are being forced to upgrade to a new OS and that there software from 2006 won't run on Windows xx. I am excited to see what cortana and spartan bring to windows 10.

All good things eventually come to an end, Win 7 is no different but I hope Win 10 can fill it's boots properly because Win 8 wound up with untreatable blisters.

Windows 8.1 is great, you must simply look beyond metro UI, which is just another UI you can easily not use if you don't want to.

I have used MicroSludge's win 3, win 95, win 98, 2000, XP, Vista, win 7 and win 8.

How is it that a big company like Micro$oft can't seem to make better products and why do they eliminate the good stuff?

I had to had win 8 removed from my new laptop and win 7 put on so I could use my legacy legally bought software that would not work on win 8. Is that fair? This is besides the fact that the win 8 interface was turd!

Why don't they learn from Google how to do a good job, and continue to do a better job instead of hit and miss?

People are willing to stick to Windows 7 until 2020 and I can't wait to get my hands on Windows 10 RTM some 6-8 months from now.

Well, this is my goodbye to Microsoft Windows and my good morning to Linux Mint or Ubuntu. A new journey has begun :)

Well, this is my goodbye to Microsoft Windows and my good morning to Linux Mint or Ubuntu. A new journey has begun :)
If this news is the thing solely responsible for your transition to Linux ... your not meant for Linux my friend.

They're forcing their upper hand on use to upgrade from 7 to 10 and by 2020 which is only 5 years away. But everything the network for sharing works perfect in 7. They should support 7 along with the next OS they're peddling at us.

If this news is the thing solely responsible for your transition to Linux ... your not meant for Linux my friend.

You're*

And yes you are correct, it's not meant for people that say "Effe Microsoft!" oh wait... it's built for them and most of linux community users actually say that very often =P

What about directx12 or 11.3 or whatever... they sort of told that 12 would come to windows 7 now its said to be only 11.3...

Back