Windows 7 is not updating?

treetops

It stopped properly updating about 5 months ago so I turned off the updates. I turned them back on and they still will not update. I get error 80070426, I googled it and tried some solutions, none worked. Most were for vista, one was to go to run, services, services tab, the enable license software or software license, 2 different places called it different things I have neither on my list. I am guessing because I have windows 7 I could not find the windows 7 equivalent. Another suggestion I tried was validating windows, I did, it had no affect.

I also tried microsoft fixit and microsoft update standalone package.

Edit ran combofix now I am also getting error code 800705b4

Edit2 error code 800705b4 is now gone

Attachments

• DxDiag3.txt
    29.2 KB · Views: 7
You might try opening "services" (type services.msc in the search box, double-click on "services"), and checking that "Software Protection" is enabled. If not, you should change it's startup type to "Automatic", then if the service is stopped, start it manually, if started, stop it and restart. After all that, try re-validating Windows at www.microsoft.com/genuine, this might start your updates flowing :).

You might try opening "services" (type services.msc in the search box, double-click on "services"), and checking that "Software Protection" is enabled. If not, you should change it's startup type to "Automatic", then if the service is stopped, start it manually, if started, stop it and restart. After all that, try re-validating Windows at www.microsoft.com/genuine, this might start your updates flowing :).
It was set to automatic (delayed), I set it to automatic, stopped restarted the services, re-validated windows with no problems and attempted to update. The error still occurred anymore ideas?

Are the updates blocked to any other programs? What security programs are installed? Are they updating correctly? Malware is always a possibility in situations like this.

Are the updates blocked to any other programs? What security programs are installed? Are they updating correctly? Malware is always a possibility in situations like this.
Blocked to any other programs? Like a firewall or antivirus? Nope not that I know of.
I have avira free anti virus, windows firewall and malwarebytes free edition. Windows firewall might not be updating since windows isnt updating but the other 2 are updating and scanning just fine. Yeah I was trying to avoid the lengthy virus removal process but if there are no other suggestions then that s where I'm headed. I turned off avira and it still wouldn't update.

Out of curiosity, is your system time correct? May not have anything to do with your case, but I know Windows Update will not work if the time and date is not correct.

Go in Windows Help and Support and type "Troubleshoot problems with installing updates" then click Microsoft Fix It. This will do a scan to determine if there's a program preventing updates or any other error and resolve it. Worked perfectly for me. PC updating like normal again. :)

Back