TechSpot

Windows 7 strange click then "not responding"

By yarn_to_be_spun
Jan 6, 2010
  1. Hey, I have a HP Pavilion dv9000 laptop with windows7 installed. For the last little while there has been a small click and then there is no sound in media player, any high-power program (like adobe premiere) goes "not responding" and I have to wait until I hear the click again to restart those programs. Or I can restart the whole laptop to fix it. So it's ridiculous...I hope it's not a hardware problem. Let me know if you have any ideas. thanx

2. vectorsigma32

vectorsigma32 TS Rookie Posts: 154

wat ur specs ?

3. yarn_to_be_spun

yarn_to_be_spun TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 33

it's got windows7 Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T7250 @2GHz, 3GB RAM, 32-bit OS, 250GB HD... anything else you think is relavent let me know

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,222   +231

Is this "click" from the speakers? Have you tried restoring the laptop using the HP restore feature? It could be a failing hard drive

5. yarn_to_be_spun

yes it is from the speakers, and no i haven't tried that. Is it different from the windows restore?
    How would you do it?

6. Tmagic650

When the first boot up screen appears, look at the bottom of the display for something like "press F10 to Restore"...

7. yarn_to_be_spun

I tried restarting, it says to press f11 for system recovery, but when i press it, it starts beeping. Then it continues booting up like usual.

8. Tmagic650

Hard drive, check it for errors

9. yarn_to_be_spun

Yeah Tmagic you're right. I scanned it and its Error #10009 - Replace Hard Disk. Thanx for the advice

10. Tmagic650

No problem yarn_to_be_spun,
    Glad we could help. Good luck!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.