Windows 8.1 not booting

By NimbM
Nov 22, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Good evening everyone, I have a Windows 8.1 installed on a Sandisk extreme pro SSD.

When I try to boot my pc, it gives the blue screen with the sad smiley and automatically restarts, them it says it wasn't able to fix the problem and won't boot again.

How the problem started:
    I pressed shut down on my pc, and instead of shutting down, it restarted. Also, when it is loading, my keyboard/mouse will turn it's lights on and off sometimes before the error happens.

Here's the log from chkdsk C: /v /f /r /x
    When I try sfc /scannow it gives me:
    when I try sfc /scannow : /OFFBOOTDIR=c:\ /OFFWINDIR=c:\windows it gives me:
    I am using a windows 8.1 disk to use the command prompt. I have also tried already to do a startup repair in the command prompt, didn't work.

I got a ubuntu stick to read the SrtTrail.txt log and this is what it says:
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,233   +234

Try re-installing Windows fresh first. If errors continue, replace the SSD
  3. NimbM

NimbM TS Rookie Topic Starter

I didn't want to have to format the computer, is there a workround for this or something I could try to fix it before formating?
  4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,233   +234

You need to back up stuff, but if the computer is not booting how are you going to do anything but trying to re-install Windows?