Windows 8.1 Update 1 could land on March 11

Scorpus

Staff member

The first update to Windows 8.1 could launch on March 11, according to the ever-accurate Mary Jo Foley and her "trusted" sources. Windows 8.1 Update 1 could launch alongside Windows Phone 8.1 on this date, ahead of Microsoft's BUILD conference in April, where Windows 9 'Threshold' is set to be detailed.

Compared to the release of Windows 8.1 itself, Windows 8.1 Update 1 will be a minor update that shouldn't introduce many features. From several leaks showing off Update 1, we know that the update will include the ability to pin Modern UI apps to the desktop's taskbar. There will also reportedly be a close button for Metro apps coming in Update 1, making it easier for all users, especially those with mice and keyboards, to clear out apps that are running on their device.

At this stage it's unknown if Update 1 will bring the return of the Start menu, as was rumored several weeks ago. Foley says she would be "surprised" if the Start menu was included with this update; it's more likely to return in Threshold at the latest, or perhaps a second Update 2.

Microsoft's traditional 'Patch Tuesday' for March falls exactly on March 11, which is when Update 1 is expected. According to Foley, Update 1 will be delivered for free through Windows Update, as opposed to the Windows Store that was used to deliver Windows 8.1.

Permalink to story.

" we know that the update will include the ability to pin Modern UI apps to the desktop's taskbar"

Is everything they are doing simply making Windows 8 more like Windows 7...just at a very slow pace?

For Gods sake Microsoft, make up your damn mind, who you are going to serve. Take a quote from scriptue: "No man can serve two masters".

Take the Windows 8 core codebase, split the UI between two different SKUs and be done with freak show for good!!! Yeezus, Microsoft get's more bad press now than Lindsay Loham or even Justin Bieber these days.

Just split Windows 8 into SKUs, one for chimps, one for people, finished!!! Or more seriously, one for business/enterprise/productivity(producers) and one for consumers. Success!!!

" we know that the update will include the ability to pin Modern UI apps to the desktop's taskbar"

Yeezus!!!!! Stop working on FrankenStein 9. Use the Windows 8 core for two different SKUs split between a SKU for producing and one for consuming. End this freak show. Windows 9 is a success, everybody goes home happy. The End. Two SKUs. Simple.

Or....keep dragging this out and fighting your customers for the next several years with no one being truly happy.

Sorry, if there is a double post. It seem TechSpot may be on the fritz.

A couple of folks I use to work with in DEC->Compaq who work for Microsoft told me that before the Consumer Preview and after DP that there friends and developers were telling them they had to have a go to desktop mode and a start button. They said the powers that be in the Windows 8 dev group turned a deaf ear to all the complaints.
The moral---listen to your customers.

Yeezus!!!!! Stop working on FrankenStein 9. Use the Windows 8 core for two different SKUs split between a SKU for producing and one for consuming. End this freak show. Windows 9 is a success, everybody goes home happy. The End. Two SKUs. Simple.

Or....keep dragging this out and fighting your customers for the next several years with no one being truly happy.

I don't see why you need to split windows just give people the option of a classic start menu and hide all the modern ui if they want to.

Having used Win8 since the day it was released, and 8.1 since it was generally available, I reverted to Win 7 because of some of my expensive mobo software wouldn't work under 8. Was worried I wouldn't be as happy as with 8, but much to my surprise I like 7 better. Thanks, but I'll pass on this one MS.

Honestly I like quite a few Metro apps, running them in windows in desktop mode would be more convenient for me though. Can't wait to see if they implement this in Windows 9 or whatever they call it. That update better be free though, I bought into Windows 8 I feel like I deserve it (not that I hate Windows 8 but features like running Metro apps in desktop mode should have been there from the beginning). Once they do this plus the return of start menu, I'll be happy :D

I must say Windows 8.1 not bad on one of my Quad core systems. I had replace the CPU fan/sink in AMD Ph X2 2.4GHz Quad Core 8GB DDR2 RAM, replace HDD with 2013 model WD 16MB Cache 500GB is all I can get. So instead of installing Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1, I've opt in for Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center Edition. Wow system response was quick and Disney Toy Story 3D game Free one ran and looked excellent on my 32-inch HDTV DC 10,0000:1 using HDMI port.

Got re-think here. Going to install this on my Windows 7 Dual Core 64-bit tablet. See how it does on that also. Since getting the Windows 8 lumia smart phone things haven't been the same. I still have more Windows 7 32/64-bit systems here. Not all going to switch over to Windows 8.1 64-bit just two for now.

I must say Windows 8.1 not bad on one of my Quad core systems. I had replace the CPU fan/sink in AMD Ph X2 2.4GHz Quad Core 8GB DDR2 RAM, replace HDD with 2013 model WD 16MB Cache 500GB is all I can get. So instead of installing Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1, I've opt in for Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center Edition. Wow system response was quick and Disney Toy Story 3D game Free one ran and looked excellent on my 32-inch HDTV DC 10,0000:1 using HDMI port.

Got re-think here. Going to install this on my Windows 7 Dual Core 64-bit tablet. See how it does on that also. Since getting the Windows 8 lumia smart phone things haven't been the same. I still have more Windows 7 32/64-bit systems here. Not all going to switch over to Windows 8.1 64-bit just two for now.

That's something We have noticed on just about every system we have upgraded to 8 even newer ones barely out of the box with windows 7 when we moved them to 8 they were a lot faster and smoother, the OS is just more optimized then 7 so it makes sense.

they already run two skus, windows 8 for consumers and the business that want it can get pro, and windows 7 for the business and enterprise scene why would they split 8 into the skus when they already have the exact solution you seek?

That's something We have noticed on just about every system we have upgraded to 8 even newer ones barely out of the box with windows 7 when we moved them to 8 they were a lot faster and smoother, the OS is just more optimized then 7 so it makes sense.

they already run two skus, windows 8 for consumers and the business that want it can get pro, and windows 7 for the business and enterprise scene why would they split 8 into the skus when they already have the exact solution you seek?

Subsystem has been worked on the only answer I can come up with. For years from 3.1 to 7 suffer for all sorts of performance woes. Most of us don't notice this until we change out the 7 and put in 8.1. I had 8 running it wasn't that hot. 8.1 they really got this head on there at MS. Still room for improvement but in all on my Windows Tablet 19V 20,000 mAh battery I installed that on it. Run Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center like dream. I wonder on all the systems would be?

HP has issue 8 though I wonder if they have solved that so I could use my full 32GB DDR3 X1600 instead of just 16GB forced by HP driver issue.

8.1 drivers and hardware are found along with printers on the network well those printers not are not a printer server. The integration is not 100% until they get rid of the old Windows desktop mode and go full circle Metro (touch or mouse UI system) is a step up from the old dialog boxes and old way UI since 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, 95, 2000, XP and 7. So they need to come up with a new File system management. Going back and forth from the old to the new is the only issue I see. I can live around it though but still some apps have the Metro integration where as some have the old desktop way.

Subsystem has been worked on the only answer I can come up with. For years from 3.1 to 7 suffer for all sorts of performance woes. Most of us don't notice this until we change out the 7 and put in 8.1. I had 8 running it wasn't that hot. 8.1 they really got this head on there at MS. Still room for improvement but in all on my Windows Tablet 19V 20,000 mAh battery I installed that on it. Run Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center like dream. I wonder on all the systems would be?

HP has issue 8 though I wonder if they have solved that so I could use my full 32GB DDR3 X1600 instead of just 16GB forced by HP driver issue.

8.1 drivers and hardware are found along with printers on the network well those printers not are not a printer server. The integration is not 100% until they get rid of the old Windows desktop mode and go full circle Metro (touch or mouse UI system) is a step up from the old dialog boxes and old way UI since 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, 95, 2000, XP and 7. So they need to come up with a new File system management. Going back and forth from the old to the new is the only issue I see. I can live around it though but still some apps have the Metro integration where as some have the old desktop way.

Even Vanilla 8 was booting significantly faster then a vanilla 7 system in our testing, the only time 8 seems to boot slower then 7 is when they both have updates, 7 seems to boot a bit faster when there doing updates. Other than that 8 usually performed better for us then 7, and 8.1 is just improving on that. I am amazed how much speed my little Venue 8 has with 8.1 on it. Working on a Data/SQL server for my dad, came with a E1 in it and after going to 8.1 the system is definitely faster.

Picking a UI is a must for them, I really am hoping they go less towards windows 7 and desktop mode. There competing on tablets and phones anymore that's the future conforming your mobile centric OS to desktop users makes less sense to me. The modern UI flows very well imo, just takes time to adjust, most people get so frustrated by it they just ignore it and treat it as a annoyance that needs to be removed. If I remember correctly the desktop was kept in windows 8 just to help people slowly adjust to modern UI. The further generations were going to drop the desktop all together and run everything through the MUI.

Last edited:
I don't know why they didn't do this when they first time launched Windows 8. I mean it's a huge company with huge workforce and they all need a year to figure out what's best for their OS. Features included in this update could be though of in a minute but still they needed so much time.

Even Vanilla 8 was booting significantly faster then a vanilla 7 system in our testing, the only time 8 seems to boot slower then 7 is when they both have updates, 7 seems to boot a bit faster when there doing updates. Other than that 8 usually performed better for us then 7, and 8.1 is just improving on that. I am amazed how much speed my little Venue 8 has with 8.1 on it. Working on a Data/SQL server for my dad, came with a E1 in it and after going to 8.1 the system is definitely faster.

Picking a UI is a must for them, I really am hoping they go less towards windows 7 and desktop mode. There competing on tablets and phones anymore that's the future conforming your mobile centric OS to desktop users makes less sense to me. The modern UI flows very well imo, just takes time to adjust, most people get so frustrated by it they just ignore it and treat it as a annoyance that needs to be removed. If I remember correctly the desktop was kept in windows 8 just to help people slowly adjust to modern UI. The further generations were going to drop the desktop all together and run everything through the MUI.
Any plans to drop the desktop UI do appear to be on hold. Changes introduced in 8.1 and proposed changes would seem to indicate the desktop mode won't be going away soon. Frankly most people would not notice the performance difference but they are bothered if the GUI changes radically.

If MS did abandon the desktop in favour of Metro it would be commercial suicide. Enterprise would consider alternatives.

No one is disputing the speed of windows 8 or 8.1 particularly. It isn't a performance killer as vista was compared to xp for example. Microsoft specifically worked on improving the time to boot which makes a difference in most systems I have come across although olde bios and slower drives still hold some machines back.

The "problem" with Windows 8.x is the new UI and the removal of the old start menu. Microsoft said that they removed it because people were not using it. The were pinning icons as using those instead. This is true but if you use windows and see people using windows, they use the start menu to find those applications in the first place. Once they find them in the start menu, they pin them to the task bar. Occasionally they look through their applications in the start menu to see if they missed anything.

Now I have actually started using the start screen in 8.1 "properly". I have no pinned apps in my taskbar except file explorer and I have enabled a local group policy that let's me choose to "run as a different user" by right clicking on apps in the start screen. I have my few apps I use in 4 groups and so far it feels very fast and my taskbar isn't cluttered with shortcuts to apps I don't have open.

However, the fact some settings are in "PC settings" and some are in control panel pisses me off. And the charms bar is a waste of time in a desktop especially if using a Remote Desktop connection where you aren't always full screen. Stuff like that is confusing and hopefully they can get rid of the inconsistencies and allow metro apps in the desktop and give people the option of the start menu instead of forcing the whole workforce to change their habits for a half backed desktop is tablet/tablet is desktop idea.

Apple has it right so far. You can't put a single os on tablets and desktops. The touch UI will not work for desktops so don't force it on desktop users. The start menu was bad for touch and that's why we have the start screen. It's got its uses but when I want to view all my apps that I haven't specifically pinned to the start screen, the applications view is a horrific mess especially with 100+ app-v icons.

So you want us all to upgrade to Windows 8 because it's boots faster. Just throw out all other factors normally used when comparing operating systems to each other and go with Windows 8 because it boots faster? *click....click....click....KABOOM!!!!!!*

Your second paragraph contains even more bizarre statements than the first. Nothing is stopping Microsoft from competing in the tablets/phones market. But I do agree with part of a statement you made:
"conforming your mobile centric OS to desktop users makes less sense to me."
Conforming either one to the other makes absolutely no sense at all. Why would I want to use a tablet OS on a desktop as you yourself stated that Windows 8 is - a "mobile centric OS"? Why would mobile users want to carry a keyboard/mouse in a gun holster on their hip and a laser printer on their back. So they can look like a modern day ghostbuster who really knows his tech stuff? Uh...I don't think so. If we cant ever get over the fact that mobile devices and desktop devices are "not the same thing" there will never be a solution. You can't solve a problem if you don't understand the problem.

"The further generations were going to drop the desktop all together and run everything through the MUI."
Dumbest statement of your entire post. The definition of desktop needs to be made clear here. It no longer most accurately represents the "size" of the device we are talking about. But what we "do" with that device. The "desktop" will not be going away ever because it represents a virtual place where people go to get serious work done.

When people can spend 8 hours a day editing movies, building websites, entering hundreds of medical/dental records, writing a book, or building the next "Call of Duty" engine on a tablet without a keyboard and a mouse - only using "chimpanzee-like" swipes - then that is the day the desktop will be going away. If you believe for a second that that day is arriving anytime soon, you are living on a planet which I have not yet heard of.

The desktop was kept in Windows 8 operating system because without it nothing could be produced for all you tablet consuming chimps to feast on day after day after day. The day the desktop dies your tablet dies with it.

Last edited:
It's obvious they're trying to push Metro crappy apps with their terrible font rendering -the reason I haven't opened/installed a single Metro app- on desktop... Additionally, I can't use the very good browser -IE11 because for some bad reason they tied even IE11's desktop with Metro's font rendering. I'm am not optimistic for this feature.

Let's hope Windows 9 will be separated into 2 distinct categories. One for Desktop and one for Tablets. Both OSes will become as uncluttered as possible with no irrelevant features. Keep the Windows 8 core changes, improve some desktop programs like Windows Media Player -make it support .mkv and external subtitles natively. Also, redesign all Desktop Icons in order to fit nicely in Desktop Environment and such... Then, I'm truly sold for Win 9!

Currently on my Windows 8.1 I'm using Startisback in order to disable all hot corners and get my precious Start Menu back. Additionallly, this little program gives you the ability to have the Taskbar even when you're in Metro interface.

MS, wake up, dammit.

Last edited:
Ive used windows 8.1 and am currently back to windows 7 ultimate for one small reason. my laptop is 7 years old and a couple of my drivers arent officially supported under windows 8 and I refuse to use a wdm gfx driver. the only thing I found I needed to do under windows 8 to make it feel like windows 7 was install a 3rd party start menu app (the one I installed also removed the metro ui from showing during bootup as well) and I was pretty happy with windows 8 after that. the only thing that steered me away was the lack of "official" windows 8 drivers from my manufacturers "even though I could get the windows 7 drivers to work." other than that, with a few minor tweaks, windows 8 can be made into windows 7 ui wise in a few small steps. this new feature theyre talking about being able to pin metro apps to the desktop is a joke to me. go into your program files and find the stuff u want and drag it to the desktop. how hard is that? honestly?

"There will also reportedly be a close button for Metro apps coming in Update 1, making it easier for all users, especially those with mice and keyboards, to clear out apps that are running on their device."

I don't get why this wasn't in 8.0 beta to begin with! Didn't Microsoft do any out of house play testing with customers to see where people have trouble trying to learn how to use Windows 8 on their own? This should have been obvious to the most casual observer that it was an issue. The desktop user interface should be user intuitive. Users shouldn't have to take a class to re-learn all that they already know about Windows.

Microsoft Needs

QA Testers
Beta Testers
UA Testers

How can you release 8 without doing so. Rushing 8 out caused so much issues. 8.1 fixes some of those issues still 8.1 has some issues still not worked. Also WinSxS folder can steal HDD space that needs to be cleaned out. Running a simple script below will take care of that.
Code:
@[USER=154672]Echo[/USER] off
:Begin UAC check and Auto-Elevate Permissions
:-------------------------------------
REM  --> Check for permissions
>nul 2>&1 "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\cacls.exe" "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\config\system"

REM --> If error flag set, we do not have admin.
if '%errorlevel%' NEQ '0' (
echo:
echo   Requesting Administrative Privileges...
echo   Press YES in UAC Prompt to Continue
echo:

goto UACPrompt
) else ( goto gotAdmin )

:UACPrompt
    echo Set UAC = CreateObject^("Shell.Application"^) > "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
    echo UAC.ShellExecute "%~s0", "", "", "runas", 1 >> "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"

"%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
    exit /B

:gotAdmin
    if exist "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" ( del "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" )
    pushd "%CD%"
    CD /D "%~dp0"
:--------------------------------------
color 1f
dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup /resetbase
mode con:cols=23 lines=5
echo ======================
echo ****** Finished ******
echo Press any key to exit.
echo ======================
pause>NUL
Save this as batch file call it what you may. Remember to backup your system. I've ran it wo/backup. So with all the service packs, updates, metro installations lot of code just sits on the system not being used.
Windows 7 has a clean-up you can use 8.1 cripples desktop windows commands and msconfig you have to manually run it to disable the GUI animation under 8 to speed up the boot-up. Also tell the system you have more than one core and max the ram. Again this feature is still like was way back in early Windows days. Either get rid of the code or re-write the code so you don't need to keep on changing these features. Or give users the options to change these features.

"There will also reportedly be a close button for Metro apps coming in Update 1, making it easier for all users, especially those with mice and keyboards, to clear out apps that are running on their device."

I don't get why this wasn't in 8.0 beta to begin with! Didn't Microsoft do any out of house play testing with customers to see where people have trouble trying to learn how to use Windows 8 on their own? This should have been obvious to the most casual observer that it was an issue. The desktop user interface should be user intuitive. Users shouldn't have to take a class to re-learn all that they already know about Windows.

They probably pulled 25 junior high schoolers out of detention and had them do beta testing. And thought that was an accurate demographic that represents the real world.

They probably pulled 25 junior high schoolers out of detention and had them do beta testing. And thought that was an accurate demographic that represents the real world.

I don't think they don't even bother with external testing anymore. The only feedback upper management wants is a bunch of yes-men saying, "your a genius, sir!" That always works out so well in a capitalist system.

Back