Windows 8.1 Update 1

bazz2004

I now have update 1 for Windows 8.1 and it was another massive download taking AGES (around 1/2 gig). It's on a computer that doesn't get much use so it'll be a while before I make up my mind on this upgrade. There's a button on the screen to shut down the computer and a search box. I tried Search by putting in "Device Manager" and unfortunately it couldn't cope with that. Not an impressive beginning. It did manage to find Control Panel though which is always useful. I've uninstalled Classic Shell to show willing and see if I manage without the familiar Windows look.

I've updated to Windows 8.1 Update 1.

Not much different. Start button will come in a few more months.
Can pin apps at Taskbar. Its very useful actually.
Shut button can found at the top right of the Metro UI.
More apps you can use on Windows 8.1.

If you want to update, go to Windows Store. Do a windows update first then update to 8.1 from the store.

If you like the way it is then...your choice dude.. :)
I'm excited for the start button actually. Looks cool!

I've updated to Windows 8.1 Update 1.

Not much different. Start button will come in a few more months.
Can pin apps at Taskbar. Its very useful actually.
Shut button can found at the top right of the Metro UI.
More apps you can use on Windows 8.1.

If you want to update, go to Windows Store. Do a windows update first then update to 8.1 from the store.

If you like the way it is then...your choice dude.. :)
I'm excited for the start button actually. Looks cool!

Another satisfied Windows 8 customer. Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. Can you please explain to me the difference between "applications" that we use on Windows 7 and "apps" that you use on Windows 8. Please enumerate and clarify the distinctions for me because maybe I am a dummy who doesn't understand the difference? They have different names so I assume they are different beasts or would that just be making an *** of myself?

Another satisfied Windows 8 customer. Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. Can you please explain to me the difference between "applications" that we use on Windows 7 and "apps" that you use on Windows 8. Please enumerate and clarify the distinctions for me because maybe I am a dummy who doesn't understand the difference? They have different names so I assume they are different beasts or would that just be making an *** of myself?

What I've tested so far it just apps/applications or games you can download from the store and pin to the taskbar. Some apps or games can only work on Windows 8.1. So you it means if you want to try the new features or the apps they have on 8.1 you need to upgrade.

Like I said if you don't want, you can stay with Windows 7.
Sooner or later everybody might need to use Windows 8 and above.
Anyway Windows 9 is coming soon.

I'm fully updated now but am still not completely happy. Despite trying to do without the Start menu supplements I have removed the Windows Store icon which appeared in the task bar with update 1 to Update 1. I have pinned Contol Panel there instead as I feel happier being one click away from the engine.

There are rumours that another update will arrive before the end of the year to return a proper start menu. That will of course precede Windows 9. I'm close to trying Start is Back which is said to be the best of the options and is not expensive. Classic Shell does the job fine though.

I'm fully updated now but am still not completely happy. Despite trying to do without the Start menu supplements I have removed the Windows Store icon which appeared in the task bar with update 1 to Update 1. I have pinned Contol Panel there instead as I feel happier being one click away from the engine.

There are rumours that another update will arrive before the end of the year to return a proper start menu. That will of course precede Windows 9. I'm close to trying Start is Back which is said to be the best of the options and is not expensive. Classic Shell does the job fine though.

Yep. I pinned the control panel too. so much easier and faster access. :D

I gave way and am now on a month's free trial of Startisback. I'm running my favourite OS - XP but with the extra security and stability of Windows 8.1 or 8.1 update 1 or 8.2 or whatever Microsoft want to call it. I've disabled the charms bar too.

I have had 8.1 for a while now. Is there an update to this? If so, how do I get it? Some say that it will not come on my auto updates. Please help me out on this. Thanks.

There is slowness at time. It's hosing the memory. I use Game Booster by Wise of course I could go in there and disable some more services. Windows Update set to auto real bad on the system. But you do need updates. The new features does help and still some features of Chrome with MS Silverlight will not allow Netflix to load Videos. To fix that I have to run IE with Sliverlight (latest version). Then it works perfect.

Again the system has to be cleaned out on regular bases, no update has ever fix itself. System should know when the system needs to be cleaned and memory to be freed when idle. What services should be disable it the CPU and Memory are being tasked heavy. Nope not even doing that.

3-rd party apps have to step in to do that work. Windows 8.1 update 1 helps some I am to run some thing and task. But I still use the Main Windows 7 SP1 99.9% and 0.1% for Windows 8.1.

Either your going to have Metro Apps as the main UI or kill the old Explorer UI with desktop icons. Just doesn't make sense to have 3 different UI on one OS. Then they're running on top of each other called overlapping. Like back in the day with DOS 6 with Windows 3.11.

Newer CPU and more RAM still until the day comes when everything runs super duper quick and no need to worry about anything but that day isn't here yet. 32/64-bit world is more like 32 bit. Of course we have come a long way from the days of 4K and 4/8-bit CPU.

I have had 8.1 for a while now. Is there an update to this? If so, how do I get it? Some say that it will not come on my auto updates. Please help me out on this. Thanks.

As you have 8.1 installed all further updates will arrive via the traditional Windows update service. Update 1 for your Windows 8.1 is a large one though - more like a service pack in size.

Win8/Win8.1 update failure often occurs due to the failure of Win8/Win8.1 update: corruption errors when Windows Update, Windows Update and Win8/Win8.1 hinder application store downloads and updates.

1 to Win8, for example, the user moves the mouse pointer to the lower right corner of the screen, evocative Charm super menu, select Search.
2, in the search box, enter "cmd", search and right click "Command Prompt" Run as administrator.

/ / Win8.1 users directly right-click the Start button, select Run, "Administrator: Command Prompt" tool

3, in the "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, in order to repair the input parameters: (Enter Run)

DISM.exe / Online / Cleanup-image / Scanhealth
4, waiting for the repair is completed, close the command prompt, re-run the Windows Update.

Update 1 is not the same as Windows 8.1. This is about moving from Windows 8.1 to Windows 8.1 (Update 1) not from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. Why on earth did Microsoft think these terms were a sensible idea?

Back