Windows 8.1 will reportedly launch mid-October

Scorpus

Staff member

windows microsoft rtm windows 8 launch windows 8.1

According to the latest reports, Windows 8.1 will be available to all users in mid-October, roughly one year after Microsoft launched Windows 8 to the public. Microsoft is expected to deliver RTM Windows 8.1 code to OEMs by the end of August, although unlike previous years the RTM release won't be available on MSDN or TechNet at that time; instead Microsoft will be holding back the launch until October for all channels.

Along with general availability of the refreshed OS, new hardware running Windows 8.1 is expected to launch alongside it, according to Mary Jo Foley of ZDNet. October is the perfect time for new devices to be released, as it's the lead-up to the holiday season, and if the date holds true, Microsoft would have delivered on their promise to refresh Windows in under 12 months.

Holding back the release of Windows 8.1 by two full months from the date it is technically finished might prove beneficial to Microsoft. They would be able to fix any zero-day bugs, as they are discovered by OEMs before the general release, as well as building up some hype ahead of launch. When Windows 8 was released, many people had already installed the operating system through various channels such as MSDN, and most of the features were already revealed (and criticized), making the launch fairly unexciting.

Windows 8.1 will be a free update for all current Windows 8 users, bringing a range of usability enhancements and fixes, supposedly taking care of some of issues people had with Windows 8, as well as bringing new features and functionality. The Start button is set to make a partial return (just a button, not the menu), as will an option to boot straight to the desktop, Start screen improvements such as new tile sizes and more customization. A pre-release build of Windows 8.1 (9471) leaked recently showing that the OS will also bring more detailed tutorials for users struggling to adapt to the changes in the OS.

Permalink to story.

Sooner the better, I'm ready for the next Windows Fad after Windows 8.1. Hopefully it will be attractive to me.

I've grown accustomed to 8.1 Preview now. Even though the windows button wasn't truely brought back I don't mind the Metro / Touch UI inspired interface as much as I did. To be honest it took me a while to get used to Win 7 over XP. As long as it brings some technical improvements in the backend I can live with the front end changes.

The need to get Windows 9 out sooner rather than later and hopefully come out with two versions this time. They need a touch and desktop version. If they would of named Windows RT, Windows 8 Touch instead, and only sold the pro version not the hobbled Arm version, I don't think Microsoft would be in a sinking ship at this point. Someone needs a better vision at Microsoft because whoever is steering the ship is going off course and with just a minor course correction they could fix everything. windows 8.1 might be the greatest thing but anything with Windows 8 in the name now is already considered junk in many peoples minds just like Vista was.

As much as I'd like to see Windows 8.1 released sooner than later any delay that fixes last minute gotchas is welcome. One thing I hope Microsoft has improved in this update is backwards compatibility; I'm still unable to install certain games in 64-bit Windows 8 that installed and ran flawlessly in 64-bit Windows 7. The issue is not the games per se but the installers themselves (they won't run at all).

"might prove beneficial to Microsoft". Are you kidding me?

This is a huge blunder. OE's are holding back some new hardware until 8.1 bows in. Take the Samsung ATIV Q that badly needs the display scaling feature of 8.1. Savy laptop shoppers looking for a back-to-school purchase are holding off until 8.1 arrives. Some may migrate over to Apple. Of course, budget windows consumers will still buy what is out there, regardless of Win8 variant.

The need to get Windows 9 out sooner rather than later and hopefully come out with two versions this time. They need a touch and desktop version. If they would of named Windows RT, Windows 8 Touch instead, and only sold the pro version not the hobbled Arm version, I don't think Microsoft would be in a sinking ship at this point. Someone needs a better vision at Microsoft because whoever is steering the ship is going off course and with just a minor course correction they could fix everything. windows 8.1 might be the greatest thing but anything with Windows 8 in the name now is already considered junk in many peoples minds just like Vista was.

If they did THAT, then no one would buy the tablet version and Microsoft would go under. The desktop PC market is a dying one. So Microsoft has to get in the tablet/smartphone market whilst it still has a chance.

If they did THAT, then no one would buy the tablet version and Microsoft would go under. The desktop PC market is a dying one. So Microsoft has to get in the tablet/smartphone market whilst it still has a chance.
They could still make separate versions, that would get get them in tablet market without throwing off desktop one.

Been running 8.1 preview for a while now.... My thoughts... ****. At least I can keep out of the metro UI now by booting directly to desktop...otherwise the same crap. Seriously considering going back to 7...

Been running 8.1 preview for a while now.... My thoughts... ****. At least I can keep out of the metro UI now by booting directly to desktop...otherwise the same crap. Seriously considering going back to 7...
That's what I did, I went back to Windows 7. I can't stand Windows 8! I hate it!

I can't stand that ModernUI crap and if Windows 8.1 shoves even more of that crap down my throat, then they can take 8 and by extension 8.1 and shove it up where the sun doesn't shine. I am a desktop user, A DESKTOP USER! Quit force feeding me that ModernUI crap, it's crap on a traditional desktop!

Yes, I know that they need to get into the tablet and mobile market but they need to do that without alienating their existing desktop market users.

As much as I'd like to see Windows 8.1 released sooner than later any delay that fixes last minute gotchas is welcome. One thing I hope Microsoft has improved in this update is backwards compatibility; I'm still unable to install certain games in 64-bit Windows 8 that installed and ran flawlessly in 64-bit Windows 7. The issue is not the games per se but the installers themselves (they won't run at all).

And there you have it folks. The proof that will people will do ANYTHING and put up with ANYTHING if it has the words "new and improved" on the side of the box.

"New and Improved?? Hell yeah, I'll take it....what is it again now?"

The Death Throbs of the giant monster from Redmond are music to my ears, come on folks admit it, Windows 8 is ugly, and purely so. No one wants ugly on their desktop, tablet or phone. The great new slogan "I Hate Windows 8" will be on bumper stickers soon, if not already. Thank God for Apple OSX and Linux OS

The Death Throbs of the giant monster from Redmond are music to my ears, come on folks admit it, Windows 8 is ugly, and purely so. No one wants ugly on their desktop, tablet or phone. The great new slogan "I Hate Windows 8" will be on bumper stickers soon, if not already. Thank God for Apple OSX and Linux OS

Sorry to disappoint those of you who don't like MS, but they had $78 billion in revenue last year, of which almost $22 billion was profit (that's more than double what Google makes). They're doing just fine. Unless people stop needing Office, they could stop working on Windows altogether and still be fine.

You guys hate win 8? It boots to desktop now, wtf? Eat your Ritalin, start your program and go about your day just like windows 7.

And there you have it folks. The proof that will people will do ANYTHING and put up with ANYTHING if it has the words "new and improved" on the side of the box.

"New and Improved?? Hell yeah, I'll take it....what is it again now?"

It's not uncommon for new OSes to have bugs and issues; Windows 95 was full of them and Microsoft improved over time. Windows 8 isn't as tip-top as was Windows 7 when it shipped but it's not as bad as Vista or XP when they shipped respectively and it has native support for USB 3.0 (something that was important to me).

As for the games that won't install, these are old games (Sinistar Unleashed and Descent 3) that I still enjoy playing. In fact, I had a similar issue with Sinistar under 32-bit Vista that was eventually resolved. If you interpret this as "putting up with anything" then that is your opinion but as it stands now Windows 8 isn't as bad as some have made it out to be.

You guys hate win 8? It boots to desktop now, wtf? Eat your Ritalin, start your program and go about your day just like windows 7.

Yes, we can make it look like Windows 7 but there's still a lot of things you must do in the ModernUI.

You want to connect to a WiFi access point? Oh great, a ModernUI-like side bar thingy. Connect to a VPN? Same thing, a ModernUI-like side bar thingy. Want to change some PC settings like adding a new user? PC Settings, yeah... that's what I want. There's that God awful ModernUI! Want to play Solitair? There's that God awful ModernUI again! ARG!!!!

I hate ModernUI, it's a UI made for tablets and touch devices. I have a desktop with no touchscreen, I have a mouse and keyboard. ModernUI is not conducive to those who have a traditional mouse and keyboard setup. If I have a traditional desktop, quit shoving ModernUI down my throat! I have no want for it or need for it!

Maybe Windows 9 will be more useful, like Windows 7 was. We can only hope.

It's not uncommon for new OSes to have bugs and issues; Windows 95 was full of them and Microsoft improved over time. Windows 8 isn't as tip-top as was Windows 7 when it shipped but it's not as bad as Vista or XP when they shipped respectively and it has native support for USB 3.0 (something that was important to me).

Yeah, Windows 95 had bugs when it was released, 17 years ago. It was acceptable back then, now...not really. And I don't know why do you say "new OSes" and then only mention Windows 95.

Hmmm. Maybe this might be a bit more useful and user friendly. I personally am not the biggest fan of Windows 8. I prefer Windows 7 myself. But this patch might be useful, especially to the older generation of people who don't catch on to this kinda stuff like that. ( My dad being one lol.)

Windows 8.0 ~ Windows Vista
Windows 8.1 ~ Windows Vista SP 1
Windows 8.2 ~ Windows Vista SP 2
---
Windows 9 ~ The new Windows 7 *if* and only *if*

Complete separation of Desktop OS and Tablet/Smartphone OS.

For desktop, keep all the noteworthy improvements and the few nice additions ( native USB3 driver, native Windows update cleanup, Mount, new Task manager and all these nice small things ). Also, improve more things like Windows Media Player for instance; add .mkv support, external subtitles support ( .srt only can be more than enough ) for all formats etc. Update all the icons in order to match the new flat design and such general improvements. Remove Metro and add an improved ala Windows 7 menu with flat design of course for consistency.

Then Windows 9 can be the new, next Windows 7 success story. C'mon... How much longer will it hold until they admit the Win 8 shipwreck?

If they did THAT, then no one would buy the tablet version and Microsoft would go under. The desktop PC market is a dying one.

"Desktop PC is dying"

Yes-yes, I know, exactly the same case as:

2813491074_caac00cbe2_o.png

Also, "if they did that, none would buy MS tablet" as if currently they're being sold like hotcakes. You've got to be kidding me...

The picture for this story alone is enough to tell me I'm not interested in this... Windows 8.1 is nothing more than lipstick on a pig.

Windows 9 was suppose to be true 64-bit and Windows 10 64/128-bit but we are no where near both. Still everything is 32-bit with some 64-bit software. Software and Hardware manufacturers need to sit down and get this going. Where are we today. When we left 8/16-bit for 32-bit. That was a start. Then they introduce 64-bit with 32-bit and we're still stuck.

Windows 9 will be more like Windows 8 and maybe Windows 10 will be one UI with just the tiles and no desktop UI mix. Just have to see how Microsoft will play out their hand. Tablets are here to stay and the next gen or soon will have the flex screen and will be thin as paper one day.

Windows 8.1 should fix some issues that are plague first Windows 8 OS. Too much memory leaks, Store doesn't see what store apps you have installed. They should look at ALLMYAPPS that works great on 8 and 7. That's a bit too much at times it setup to run as a task and also run when the system boots. I fix both so it only runs when I launch it.

Good Store for Windows 7 and 8 but just for full app not like 8's tile applet apps.

I won't be getting the update because I switched back to windows 7. lol

Back