Windows 8 not booting

Hodsocks

I have a Samsung laptop with WIndows 8 but it won't boot, all I get is a message: Your PC needs to be repaired. The boot configuration data for your pc is missing or contains errors.
File:\ EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD
Error code: 0xC0000001
It stays on the screen for some seconds and then reboots. I have tried booting with a Windows 8 disc but the same happens, I have turned off secure boot in the BIOS and the same happens, whatever I seem to try it keeps coming up with the same message so I am at a loss to get past this error message.
I am hoping you guys will have the answer.

Tried all of those options but still goes straight to the error screen. SOme of the options five me a "Please wait" at the bottom right of the screen as though it might do something but still goes to the blue error screen.

If none of these options are working. You may have a bad hard drive. You can try seatools. The dos version. If the laptop will let you boot from cd. This will let you know if the hard drive is bad..

SeaTools for DOS | Seagate

Just ran seatools and it flagged up some LBA errors, am carrying out an error check of the drive but it seems to be taking forever.

Well I gave up when it was telling me it was going to take 42 days, looks like a new drive then. As I don't have any recovery discs hopefully my Win 8 disc will pick up on the cd key in the BIOS as there is no sticker with the serial on the laptop.

Win 8 key is in the bios. You have two choice. A new hard drive. Then you will need to go to the the samsung support site and get the drivers. You may need to change the win key in the bios. Or you can order a restore disk from toshiba. Which in the long run is the easier. It will have the drivers. Plus most of the time accepts the key in the bios. Either way will get it up and running.

Last edited:
Yes, a new drive is the way forward, I am waiting for Samsung to come back to me with prices for recovery discs, because if they're too expensive it looks as though the laptop may be scrapped. If my oem disc worked then I would need to download the drivers of course.

Well hopefully the recovery disk won't be too much. If they are give this site a try. I have had luck with it.

: : Welcome to RestoreDisks.com : :

Yes if you use the oem disk, You would need to download your own drivers. You also may run into having to change the bios key. Just depending how Samsung Os are.

Back