Windows 9 public preview to arrive in late September

Scorpus

Staff member

According to well-known insider, Mary Jo Foley, Microsoft will deliver a public preview of their next operating system in late September or early October. While Microsoft hasn't confirmed what this OS will be called, it's expected to be Windows 9, codenamed internally as 'Threshold'.

The "technology preview" will be available publicly, and should contain many of the features expected to launch with the OS. There's no word currently on whether it will be the only public preview of Windows 9, although as Microsoft is moving to a faster release cycle, it's unlikely we'll see as many previews as we got for Windows 8.

New features that have been widely rumored to make an apperance in Windows 9 include the return of the Start menu for desktop users, virtual desktops, the ability to run Metro-style applications in windows, the removal of the Charms bar for some users, and possibly Cortana integration as well.

Threshold is also expected to mark the convergence of many versions of Windows into one. For example, Microsoft will merge Windows RT and Windows Phone into one version supporting ARM-based systems. The Xbox One will also receive a major overhaul to bring it inline with the current version of Windows, and universal apps will be able to run on devices of all sizes.

The final version of Windows 9 will reportedly launch in April 2015, with Microsoft opting for a shorter gap between the first preview and its launch.

Permalink to story.

If that well-circulated screenshot is any example, Microsoft still doesn't get it. The entire point of a live tile is that it be visible and accessible at all times from your main/home screen. What sense does it make to cram it into the start menu? Everyone has a widescreen monitor now: we're ready for the sidebar we always wanted, and now it can be composed of functional, informative and nicely uniform tiles. If their going to have a single Windows for mobile and another for the desktop then it makes even *more* sense. Imagine if I could assemble a live tile "dock" on my desktop and then export it to my Windows phone or Surface? This could all be done automatically via the Windows cloud login. The start menu needs to be brought up to modern standards akin to what most Linux users enjoy. The first level should have primary folders like "office", "system tools", "media", etc, and all programs meeting Windows 9 standards should have a tag that installs them into one of the major groups. For traditionalists they can easily include a flat "all programs" menu option. Come on, Microsoft..its not brain surgery!

They better catch up in support for high DPI screens, at least for their own products.

I'm using SQL 2014 Management Studio here, and it is still a product without high DPI support, looks bad on my high-resolution screen.

Windows 9 the update for windows 8.1 you have to pay for!

Well done next microsoft will be charging us $100 for every update and if windows 8.2(9) is like windows 7 we will be shelling out roughly $22,000 for all the updates which seems to be where microsoft is heading the OS too.

Windows 9 the update for windows 8.1 but with a $100 price tag well done glad microsoft is listening to its customers :)

Yes Microsoft please feed advertisements to my start menu... Really??? They still don't get it... *sigh* Linux is looking better all the time.

I have lost all my hope for MS . I DONT want to use Google either. Is Linux my only option?

Low RES look suppose to be faster on GPU so that Windows screen read/write tasks are smoother. Thus less impact on system resources (memory) too. But having Metro GUI ontop of Windows 7 UI in Windows 8 made 8 and 8.1 sluggish using vast amount of memory.

Microsoft Live always running in the background, along with tracking and etc. I have Windows 8.1 phone with Cortana. Nice if that comes to Windows 9. But this next version is still a 32-bit / 64-bit OS not a true blue 64-bit OS yet. No plans for 64-bit / 128-bit OS since everything still a mix 32/64-bit OS as for today standards.

Windows 9 the update for windows 8.1 you have to pay for!

Well done next microsoft will be charging us $100 for every update and if windows 8.2(9) is like windows 7 we will be shelling out roughly $22,000 for all the updates which seems to be where microsoft is heading the OS too.

Windows 9 the update for windows 8.1 but with a $100 price tag well done glad microsoft is listening to its customers :)

windows xp/vista/7 to windows 8 upgrade price is 39.99$, time-limited.
windows 8 to 8.1 update is free.

I hope that they will have an option to get rid of the metro style(right side) of the start menu. I have always found metro to be ugly.

I hope that they will have an option to get rid of the metro style(right side) of the start menu. I have always found metro to be ugly.

If your referring to just the "live tiles" portion of Metro that may be possible. But the whole Metro UI permeates the operating system through more than just live tiles. There will more than likely be an option to turn them off. I think I have heard fervent defenders of Windows 8 proclaim that you can in the hopes of converting holdouts to the wonderfully "gay" OS that Windows 8 is.

But part of the ugliness you speak of, which I think is considered part of the Metro UI, is the over-sized, square 4-bit opaque color theme, that is everywhere. And from all the recent screenshots of Windows 9 it doesn't look like they are backing down on those issues. Why they wouldn't give desktop users everything they have been clamoring for is beyond me at this point. I don't know what ***** over at Microsoft is saying, "Well, we are going to give them 90% of everything they have been demanding. But let's hold our ground on the 4-bit opaque square over-sized window theme we have going just so we don't look like complete pansies."

*shrugs*

If your referring to just the "live tiles" portion of Metro that may be possible. But the whole Metro UI permeates the operating system through more than just live tiles. There will more than likely be an option to turn them off. I think I have heard fervent defenders of Windows 8 proclaim that you can in the hopes of converting holdouts to the wonderfully "gay" OS that Windows 8 is.

But part of the ugliness you speak of, which I think is considered part of the Metro UI, is the over-sized, square 4-bit opaque color theme, that is everywhere. And from all the recent screenshots of Windows 9 it doesn't look like they are backing down on those issues. Why they wouldn't give desktop users everything they have been clamoring for is beyond me at this point. I don't know what ***** over at Microsoft is saying, "Well, we are going to give them 90% of everything they have been demanding. But let's hold our ground on the 4-bit opaque square over-sized window theme we have going just so we don't look like complete pansies."

*shrugs*
I like the color to the tiles. But I just wish I could pick the color, it would let you color code your start screen to keep it more organized a d easier to navigate when you zoom out on it. The start menu in threshold looks like it will resolve most of the start menu complaints, I am gonna keep mine in MUI for a start screen.

Give microsoft $39.99 for a start menu they took away from you gosh they are listening to their customers...
the $39.99 start menu which is absolutely necessary for you is a much better price tag than the imaginary 'roughly $22,000 cost of updates'.

as for software manufacturers: av/malware companies are in the habit of charging for subscription on a per year basis with two and three-year subscriptions heavily discounted.

as for operating systems, once can choose a free Linux variety, microsoft's price points, or apple's bundled hardware/OS cost.

Imaginary pfft and so your saying if you bought a car and the car maker took the engine off your car and said if you want the engine its gonna cost you £39.99 you would just say "damn that's a great deal I'll pay that"

You gotta be a special person to do that... Also I pirate windows and office no point in giving greedy beggers cash

Imaginary pfft and so your saying if you bought a car and the car maker took the engine off your car and said if you want the engine its gonna cost you £39.99 you would just say "damn that's a great deal I'll pay that"

You gotta be a special person to do that... Also I pirate windows and office no point in giving greedy beggers cash

It just depends on how much of a special person you are. Like for example admitting to doing illegal activities online (At least in a lot of countries where software copyrights IS a thing too look out for).

Then again...

Hopefully Windows 9 will be heavily discounted for those of us who are running Windows 8/8.1. As long as the tiles can be opened in the Desktop I don't care that they're included in the Start Menu. Also, I wonder if this means we will see the release of certain titles on the PC (such as the upcoming Halo collection for the Xbox One and Gears of War 2 and 3) since the console will receive an update that puts in line with Windows?

One can only hope.

Its a good thing the us and UK government doesnt know what illegal or against the law means or if it exists otherwise the government members would be in jail and having to pay off all their debt.

But hey nothing is illegal in the UK or us right now so they can't do anything about it otherwise the governments would have to punish themselves

If that well-circulated screenshot is any example, Microsoft still doesn't get it. The entire point of a live tile is that it be visible and accessible at all times from your main/home screen. What sense does it make to cram it into the start menu? For traditionalists they can easily include a flat "all programs" menu option. Come on, Microsoft..its not brain surgery!
You sound like you have never used Windows 7 before. You can attach the start menu to the side of the screen, change icon sizes and add instant shortcuts or menu's. Not to mention the other 5 million ways to do something like that.

I like what I have seen and read so far about Windows 9 and I am officially done bitching about their every move. Like 2000--->XP and Vista--->7, they are taking the best from each idea and making it into one. I think Windows 9 is shaping up to be a good, accommodating and flexible OS.

Back