TechSpot

Windows 98 as a proxy server

By Mictlantecuhtli
Aug 11, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No, I'm not trying to use ICS. I just want a computer to work as a proxy server. The machine has NE2000 nic, local network works just fine. But, as soon as I connect, with my GPRS cellphone (as a standard modem in serial port), to Internet, LAN stops working. The machine finds itself with ping but no other computers. There are no firewalls installed, it's just plain 98, not even SE. LAN continues working the moment I disconnect the dialup connection. I'd like to get that LAN working while the machine would still be online.
    And, LAN must use TCP/IP.
    Can't Win9x just bind TCP/IP to multiple connections at once?

2. ss1

ss1 TS Rookie Posts: 106

hmm it should be able to. I remember having a Win98SE proxy once for hosting an ISDN connection a long time ago. The proxy software I was using back then was Sygate and the NIC I was using was an 3Com ISA NIC.

ss1.

3. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

You can use Wingate as well.

And yes it does bind TCP/IP to multiple adapters.

4. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 4,916   +9

It doesn't matter which proxy software I'm using, the computer just disappears from LAN when it's connected to Internet.

5. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 4,916   +9

Does this mean it's not possible with 98 without NetBEUI?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.