Windows 98 (First Edition)/ME + Broadband

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am failing in my efforts to use a Speedtouch 330 USB modem to connect to the internet via Broadband from an 'old' PC running Windows ME that was upgraded from Windows 98 First Edition.

I am being told that Windows 98 First Edition (and ME if upgraded from it as opposed to a fresh install) will not connect via Broadband due to certain Registry settings and that I have only three options -

Fresh install of ME - I cannot face all the backing-up & reinstallingi nvolved!

Upgrade to 2000 - cost & unsupported path!

Network my two PCs (I have one running XP) - cost & effort!

Am I being informed correctly? (from Internet scanning I suspect not!) - If not what do I do? - Is there another way of safely amending/correcting the Registry settings?

You have been informed wrong.

How exactly to do the setup depends on the kind of modem you have and on your ISP.
You ISP will supply you with needed sotware (if you got the modem from them) and will help you to set it up.

I am in Hull in the UK, the only part of the UK which has its own Telephone Service, Kingston Communications rather than BT.
It is they who are my Broadband ISP successfully supplying the service to my XP (which I am on now) and they who have told me that my Windows 98/ME PC will not connect.

go to http://www.speedtouch.com/support.htm and get the latest drivers for your ME (called Win there).
Your PC's hardware might be too old to support USB, but a PCI USB-card could perhaps help.
Otherwise, see if there is a router that might work with your modem. You'd also probably need NICs for that if they are not there already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back