Windows 98 gets extended support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Although support for the older operating systems was due to end shortly, Microsoft has announced that it will be extended. Microsoft has extended support for Windows 98, Windows 98 SE and Windows ME.

The software giant has extended support for the operating systems until 30 June, 2006. During that time paid over-the-phone support will be available, and "critical" security issues will be reviewed and "appropriate steps" taken.

Read more: ZDNet.

That's actually kind of a relief because you have NO idea how many people I find myself supporting that still use '98. I guess I can't blame them if they have no real need to move on. Mainly e-mail and surfing. Good to see they can keep it alive awhile longer.

I personally did not see that coming...I thought Win98, ME were out the window.

Have to agree with Masque, over half the customers I deal with are still using 98 and just can't afford to upgrade because its just not worth it to them.

I have no idea why they are doing this. Drop 9x and move to NT already jeesh. Like above "can't afford to upgrade because its just not worth it" have they not used/seen 2k or XP?
Its incredible that 9x is still in use. I can see individuals usign it still because of gaming and compatibility issues, but wth is a corporation/buisness doing still using anything 9x based, its just stupid IMO.
If a buisness can't gain enough revenue to upgrade from 98 to XP over 6 years then I think they need to question the progress of their company.

Well, most of these people are mom and pop type users....e-mail....surfing and kids with IM and chat. Some small game use, but older and minimal requirement.

On the other hand, there are a fair number of lab machines running older equipment (that would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to upgrade) that currently run under W98SE.....and run well. I'm not saying they shouldn't upgrade eventually, but if you work in the corporate world, it's all about money. Departments skim where they can and as long as we can keep 'em running they're happy. And this, I think, is what M$ is looking at when they decided to keep the support awhile longer.

This is good for every reason thought of. No negative results just more troubled people happy because they don't have to upgrade to XP. Some peopl I know hate it. I think it is fine. I just set it up the way I had it in 98 and A-OK.:grinthumb

it's only fair to bring back support for Windows 95 if they extend the life of 98/Me... I mean, the one thing they all have in common is they run of the DOS kernel with a pretty GUI.

I think Microsoft should give a rebate to consumers (not business that have working networks composed of win 98) still running these OSes to encourage their migration to the better NT kernel OSes.

With all the high tech gadgets that work instantaniously with XP and 2k without drivers, and all the other system optimizations built into XP, it's going to be a no brainer. Honestly, Does anyone download drivers for anything but their Motherboard and Graphics cards nowadays? I didn't think so... thanks to XP and 2k...

They just just end it as originally intended. It's not as if ending support for 9x/Me will cause all those using 9x/Me on their PC to stop working.

98SE is still considered much more stable than XP by many people, which is why they waited until now to end it's life.

Isn't Win98SE the the same as Win95 PLUS!. IN other words doesn't it have crap like more themes and other junk that oyu don't need. Maybe it has all the hotfixes/patches there instead of going to Windows Update. I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back