windows 98-poor resolution and fonts too large! Help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozeman

hi guys. i am using windows 98. one day while my son was finishing playing an online game, the resolution on the screen changed and now it looks very poor. the fonts have also become too large to fit all the info on the screen.

i have tried to go to display and do the adjustments there but all to no avail. can any kind soul out there help this old bloke to get his computer going again?

thanks very much in advance!

done that but it is no help. i think if i can reduce the size of the fonts and minimize the pop up screen at display to a reasonable size, i should be able to make some adjustments there. at the present time, the pop up screen is too big for me to see or do anything.

any other ideas? thanks!

Have you tried sliding the slider in resolution to a smaller size like 800x600?

As before right click desktop, properties, settings, screen resolution.

Mmmm maybe a iffy video driver,

You can open Device Manager by double-clicking on the System icon in Control Panel, and choosing the Device Manager tab. It is also accessible by right-clicking on My Computer, selecting Properties, and selecting the Device Manager tab.

Are there any Yello or Red exclamation or question marks there if so it may mean that you need to reinstall your video driver/display adapter.

Hi dazz! i probably can't save the setttings because the pop up is too big and i can's see the apply and ok buttons.

any idea how to reduce the size of the pop up?

So the Dialogue box (quite different from a pop-up) is so massive you cant click apply or OK, what about adjusting your monitor manually by the monitors buttons usually located at the front of the monitor, shrink the size a biot and see if the apply or OK buttons appear in the dialogue box.

sorry, you are right it is the dialogue box. when i try to size the screen by using the front button, the whole screen becomes smaller. so i'm still unable to see the ok and apply buttons.

As said try changing the resolution in Safe Mode, but I cant understand why you cant get the settings back as I expect the PC wasnt in safe mode when it first happened, a bit odd.

Maybe Settings, Advanced, General and maybe DPI was changed, this is also accessable via right click desktop and properties.

hi peddant! coundn't get your link to work. do you know how to reduce the size of the dialogue box?

ozeman said:
sorry, you are right it is the dialogue box. when i try to size the screen by using the front button, the whole screen becomes smaller. so i'm still unable to see the ok and apply buttons.

hey just a simple "hit the enter button" that should fix u're problem.

nickc, i took your advice and in desperation hit the enter button several times. don't know what happened. hey presto! but everything seems to be working now. damn windoze!

thanks for all the help, everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back