Windows 98 registry help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

samiam0440

I got my laptop before this computer im on now (desktop) and my laptop is a little older and it has windows 98 installed. Well, at the time I really didnt know anything about computer memory and how it all works, so one day i tried to install something on my laptop and it said i needed more memory so I then started to erase everything (including some system files) because I thought that would clear enough memory so i could install it but now i realize it wouldnt of. So everytime i try to start my laptop, it wont even let me go to the desktop. It goes to the command part. and it says

"The following file is missing or corrupted: C:WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
The following file is missing or corrupted: C:\WINDOWS\DBLBUFF.SYS
The following file is missing or corrupted: C\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS
Type the name of the command interpreter (e.g.,c:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)

It says something is wrong with the registry. Please help!

Hi samiam0440 :wave:

You seem to have a couple of recent posts, on Windows 98 and also on Xp.

It is a concern that you may not be experienced enough in knowing the difference between system files and data files, and possibly may continue to do similar things (or have similar issues) in the future.

I would recommend that you start reading a lot and googling a lot of information on Windows, especially before deleting/editing or changeing anything.

In both this case and the other, your best option is to re-install Windows using your Windows CD. At that stage start learning. At 17 or 18yo you are an ideal candidate for learning Vista (the new Windows) I would suggest you make all attempts in gaining experience and information on Vista, and then hopefully install it and use it yourself (knowing System Restore and system file protection is protecting your computer system from you!)

It was funny hearing command.com missing though :)

so one day i tried to install something on my laptop and it said i needed more memory
a message such 'not enough memory' doesn't mean that you need to start dumping stuff from you hard drive. it means that you do not have enough RAM (random access memory). you may only have 256mb of ram and you need a mininmum of 512mb of ram or more. eg, you wish to install vista onto a laptop, vista needs a minimum of 512mb of ram and the vista premium needs 1gb of ram. so if you have a basic amount of memory in your pc some security suites will not install and will produce a message informing you about the lack of memory(RAM).
search for the programme files that you attempted to install, as some may well have installed and remove them.
or try a systems restore first.

advised minimal ram:
xp =256mb min
vista =512mb min
vista prem = 1gb min

for more info on your listed files look here
here

You know I thought that too (Ram not HDD)
But I'm confused with your last line

98 didn't have System Restore, and samiam0440 can't search anything as command.com is missing!

so one day i tried to install something on my laptop and it said i needed more memory
i dont see the laptop likely to have W98 on it. but hey i could be wrong kimsland

I see your point now

Mind you as the heading states Win98

But I now understand what you meant (I was thinking just a program)

I retract my question to you then. :)

so is the laptop no good now since i cant search anything?...i searched around on google and everything and i typed what they told me to but none of that worked

samiam 0440 would you please answer these questions.

1. how old is you laptop ?
2. what is the actual operating system on it?
3. how large is the hard drive?
4. how much RAM does it have?

if you are able to attach a hijack this log please do

I dont know the exact age of it but its a toshiba satellite pro 410cs like this pic
the operating system on it is windows 98.
im not sure about the hard drived nor the RAM

Attachments

• ToshibaSatellitePro410CS.jpg
    ToshibaSatellitePro410CS.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 5
Yes I know that old Windows 95 and or Windows 98 laptop

You need to re-install Windows 98 (using your Windows 98 CD and key)

Probably not fast enough (or enough ram)

Also confirm in CMOS (pressing some key on startup to enter) that CD is the first bootable device.

You may need to source the manual on the "some key" to press to get into CMOS (BIOS, or system Setup page)

When first turning on the computer, you should notice something like press DEL or another key to get into CMOS

Actually hang on, just refresh this page later, I'll get ALL the key commands (have to locate the file)

Edit:

Can't find it !!
But here's a good page to show lots of different key presses for different models
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

Windows ME Minimum Specs
  • Processor - Pentium or equivalent, 150 MHz or higher
  • Memory - 32 mb of RAM
  • CD-ROM drive
  • Hard Drive Space - 320 mb to 420 mb depending on configuration selected
Windows 98 Minimum Specs
  • Personal computer with a 486DX 66 MHz or faster processor (Pentium recommended)
  • 16 megabytes (MB) of memory (24 MB recommended)
  • One 3.5-inch high-density floppy disk drive
  • CD-ROM drive
  • 195 mb of free space

Now your system: (Thanks to Tomrca)
  • Manufacturer: Toshiba Family: Satellite Pro Model: 410CS
  • Fixed RAM: 8MB
  • Standard RAM: 8MB Banks: 1
  • Maximum RAM: 40MB

Oh dear!
I think that Win Me not so good

You will need to locate an old 98 Disc, to Repair your computer system

Please be aware, this laptop (working perfectly with Windows 98) is worth about $20, but I wouldn't buy it.

okay. thank you for all yalls help! I appreciate it. now im going to try to find one of those old disks...wish me luck lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back