Windows 98 SE Service Pack 1.5 (unofficial)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Never heard of this one but seems to be a very practical way to get your PC up to date (especially when reinstalling) for those of you stuck with Win98... spotted at Neowin[]:

Microsoft has never released a service pack for Windows98 SE. It contains all Windows98 SE updates from Windows Update site and more.

It is a self-extracting and self-installing pack like Microsoft's update files. Thus, you cannot choice files individually. However, the pack installs only required fixes for your system. Uninstallation is possible from Add-Remove Programs.

Cool!

Sounds like worth a download to have lying on a cdrom until the day I'll install W98SE again (for playing old games)...

Thanks for the heads up :)

Are new updates still being brought out for Win98SE if you go to WindowsUpdate.com? I mean, new ones for new problems not just those that existed before the platform got retired?

I quit using Windows98 altogether about 2 years ago, but barely used it since Windows 2000.

No idea...

Just thought it'd be a good idea to keep all those updates in one place for when/if I'll install W98SE on an old system that's lying around...

It may be the same stuff as on this CD from Microsoft, then again it may be completely different....

http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp

This CD is security updates for Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, Windows ME, Windows 2000 Pro and Windows XP. All OSes seem to be on this single CD even though MS makes it appear as if there's one CD for each OS. Best of all, it's COMPLETELY FREE.

tarkus you are right. i installed updates for win98, w2k, and win xp from that MS security cd a few weeks ago.

I'm still using Win98SE... still more friendly than anything else I have tried.. even XP Pro isn't as good in my opinion... Still each to their own I guess!! The only thing that really bugs me about MS O/S's is that I do not have a choice as to which third party software i can use.. I have no gripe with MS bundling anything of their's within an O/S but let US choose if we use theirs or not... and now I'll get off my Orange box....lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back